[LINUX:20500] RE: Ynt: Re: mail server kurmak istiyorum

From: Andreas Mueller (amu@tr.debian.net)
Date: Fri 13 Oct 2000 - 10:35:02 EEST

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 05:32:29PM +0300, Duzgun GUL wrote:

> Bunlar denenip de yazilmis seyler mi yoksa bir yerden gordum de yazayim
> tarzinda olan saptamalar mi ?

practise ( i setuped 3 German Universities ) & theory ( University
for Computer Science, part Operating Systems ) & many years experience :)

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Andreas Mueller wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 02:42:19PM +0300, Gorkem Cetin wrote:
> >
> > * with Linux or PC's it's not possible to handele more than 20.000
> > Users.
>
> sebep ???

TCP/IP of Linux is the worst Part of Linux, at University you'll be
teached also about Mircosystems/Systemarchitectures. Companies like
IBM / SCO / SUN developed a long time their "UNIX". I'll not say Linux
is bad, for Middle-Companies, or Highend-Server, Linux is not good
enought. Linux has, as i said, generell problems with Filehandling,
Sockets. You can use Linux for small ISP's with less than 5.000 Users

> > * Metu has about 20.000 Users 2 paralell Computers, 3 Mailserver
> > the system running on AIX 4, based on a RISC - System, 3 RISC Server
> > share the Jobs, only "orca" has 4GB RAM, and 100 GIG SCSI
>
> Su anda calismis oldugum sirketin eski mail serveri ( 25 bin kullanici )
>
> Sun U10 300 Mhz Sparc - 512 GB RAM - 8.GB x 3 SCSI HD , Metu kaynaklarini
> boyle hoyratca kullaniyorsa bu METU'nun sorunu..

512 GB RAM ? it's not possibible with a U10 :) A U10 is U5 familar
with max. 1GB RAM, the benchmark is about 22.

made some time ago tests with the U10, at least as ~500 Users
connected she got big trouble, i'll not believe you have 25.000 Users
It's possible if send extremly less email, you running no sql-server
or ftp-server at this maschine. Just account for yourself,

service ( login ) in kb * childprozess ( users ) lets say 1000Users =
200MB
service ( ftp ) in kb * childprozess ( users ) lets say 500Users =
125MB
service ( web ) in kb * childprozess ( users ) let say 100Users =
200MB

just with "3 services" which run at the maschine your're out of RAM
i'll not point the the busspeed at this moment. Physically impossible
you run 25.000 User at the maschine.

> > * using NFS3,4 slows down the hole System, generally NFS is slowly
>
> Disk Array kullanilabilir..

if you transfer from a "nativ" Ethernetcard Datas you're faster, than
sucking NFS, try fror youself, transfer a File with 5GB with
Ethernet and NFS

> > * zmailer+patch is a very nice mailer for this job.
> > * mysql is nice if you work with < 10 Users, Postgresql is nice for
> > middle Systems it rocks until 100Users, for big Systems orcacle, is a
> > must.

.. forgot postfix, btw. the most busy Internetside, ftp.cdrom.com (
ftp.download.com ) running with FreeBSD.

> Su anki kurmus oldugum sistemde ise
>
> mysql> select count(*) from rt_net_tr;
> +----------+
> | count(*) |
> | 37929 |
> 1 row in set (0.02 sec)
>

> kullanici mevcut ? Sorun yok, cikacak gibi de gorunmuyor..

You forget the most importent factor, how many user use the
System/Services at the same time ?

Andreas Mueller
Debian TR

"The BeOS takes the best features from the major operating systems. It's got the power and flexibility of Unix, the interface and ease of use of the MacOS, and Minesweeper from Windows." ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Public-gpg-Key: http://tr.debian.net/amu/amu.key