[Gelistirici] [Pardus-devel] Package names

Fatih Aşıcı fatih at pardus.org.tr
3 Tem 2010 Cmt 21:45:41 EEST

On Thursday 01 July 2010 16:37:41 David Stegbauer wrote:
> Fonts naming inconsistency: while all other "package Groups" use name
> prefix, the fonts use suffix. Why not to use prefix too? E.g.
> fonts-dejavu

Sounds reasonable; but I prefer singular forms for the prefixes: font-dejavu

I also want to hear ideas from other developers.

> Apache modules, NSS modules and PAM modules all use underscore as prefix
> separator while others use dash. Why not to use dash for all?

At first, I thought they are well-known names and we should not touch them.
But it seems Debian & Ubuntu also change their names. We could use

  nss-mdns
  pam-ldap
  apache-php

Maybe we should add mod or module:

  nss-mod[ule]-mdns
  pam-mod[ule]-ldap
  apache-mod[ule]-php

> Case sensitivity is really annoying when I manage packages from command
> line. Either I have to remember exact spelling or use pisi search. I
> really prefer to have all package names lowercase. BTW Debian also use
> lowercase, they probably know why :-)

Some upstream developers are sensitive on this issue. They want their sofware
packaged with the exact cases. For those, we would have exceptions. I don't
insist about this issue. It is OK for me if everybody wants lower cases.

> I would even recommend to split some desktop/base/kde... packages to
> decrease dependencies or to no install software one does not use.
> For example kdesdk contains very useful kate editor, less used umbrello and
> even less used cervisia.
>
> I would also recommend to separate -libs from some packages to decrease
> dependencies.
> For example kipi-plugins depends on hugin which depends on wxGTK which
> depends on gtk2. So KDE depends on gtk2!
> For other example kdepim depends on gnokii which depends on gtk2.

+1 That's really bad.

> All of these are just tips of iceberg. It would be nice to have online
> charts of package dependencies to analyze it. At least for packages which
> are (will be) on installation CD.

Graphs might be helpful. After a fresh install, give the following commands:

  pisi graph -i -o installed.dot
  dot -Tpng -o installed.png installed.dot