[Gelistirici] contrib svn 'si altındaki pisidepo ve 3rd_Party hakkında

Murat Şenel muratasenel at gmail.com
30 Kas 2006 Per 01:47:05 EET

 Hi all,

We had a discussion in #pisidepo on the proposal to merge pisidepo with
3rd_party repo. We arrived at the conclusion that this is not needed. Our
reasons are outlined below.

The current situation is that pisidepo is considered as a repository of
unsupported/experimental packages. 3rd Party packages are also similiar to
it. Hence the proposal is partly well founded. However, we would like to
stress one factor: pisidepo is not just an svn repository.

We in #pisidepo consider ourselves as an independent community of 3rd party
developers of Pardus. By community, we mean a team. The packages we create
are, of course, unsupported by the core Pardus team. However, they are
supported by us.

We feel that members of the core Pardus devel team consider the base platform
and make it the best possible. This is the reason we use this well-made OS.

Members of the pisidepo team create unsupported packages as part of an
external volunteer community. Members of pisidepo team, may also be granted
commit privileges at the discretion of Pardus devels. This does not remove
their status as pisidepo members. This is because, there may be several
reasons why a 3rd party developer does not want to be identified directly
with the Pardus devel team.

We wish to stress at this point that both Pardus devels and Pisidepo have the
great common goal "to develop Pardus as the best GNU/Linux experience both
for beginners and experienced users". Our roles differ in that Pardus devels
form the core, and Pisidepo forms the (organized) community around it.
3rd-party is for 3rd party individuals who do not wish extended involvement
in Pardus development either in core or community.

Since our Pardus community is built around the code, this also seems a good
structure for the svn repos.

So our view of the svn repo is like this:

    * devel/ is the repo produced by core Pardus devels: supported fully by
the Pardus team, with specific stability requirements.

    * 3rd-party/ is the repo produced by individual 3rd party developers,
usually experimental packages to be used at the discretion of the Pardus
devels (perhaps move to playground/ to devel/ ? )

    * pisidepo/ is the repo produced by the pisidepo team: we support it based
on our constraints as a volunteer group.

Of course, any packages that Pardus devels need from pisidepo/ (or 3rd party)
may be used.

It is in the best interest of Pardus OS that packages once done shouldn't be
done again; this is busy work. It would be better to institute a system for
listing wanted/requested packages and assigning it to specific users in the
wide Pardus community (including core devels, pisidepo, or any other 3rd
party who can access the system).

[Note: One pisidepo project is to make software that can automate this, so
that such instances of double work can be avoided in future by accurate
communication and reporting.]

We also request the following:

    * Generate seperate indexes for the repos under contrib/. We can surely
build any needed packages by emerging it.
    * Provide a direct link to contrib/ repos on http://svn.pardus.org.tr

These directly follow from the discussion above regarding pisidepo.

We hope that Pardus developers, community members and interested users who are
on this list will provide constructive criticism on this issue, all for
making the best GNU/Linux experience out there!

[Note: We send this e-mail in English since we have a non-Turkish speaker
member.]

On behalf of the Pisidepo team,
Murat Şenel