[Gelistirici] Fwd: [Zlib-devel] zlib and LZMA

İsmail Dönmez ismail at pardus.org.tr
15 Tem 2006 Cmt 21:45:09 EEST

Güzel haberler :-)

----------  Yönlendirilmiş İleti  ----------

Subject: [Zlib-devel] zlib and LZMA
Date: Cumartesi 15 Temmuz 2006 21:34
From: Mark Adler <madler at alumni.caltech.edu>
To: zlib-devel at zlib.net

zlibbers,

I wanted to let you all know that I have been discussing adding LZMA
to zlib and gzip with Igor Pavlov (author of 7-zip).  LZMA will
provide a higher compression alternative to deflate, of course at the
cost of more CPU and more memory.  I picked LZMA since it compresses
better than most of the block-sort software I've seen, it provides
relatively fast decompression, it is open source, and it appears to
be patent free.

As for timeline, Igor is currently working on LZMA2, which should be
complete in a few months.  That is the actual compression method that
will be added to zlib and gzip.  In the meantime, I will be
incorporating an LZMA decoder in our private beta versions of zlib to
work out the interfaces with this group and test them with your help.

I also plan to add XML-WRT and executable filters as compression
options in zlib and gzip.

Your help with testing and commentary will, as always, be greatly
appreciated.  Also if there are any volunteers to help with the
coding, that would be great too.

mark