[Gelistirici] contrib svn 'si altındaki pisidepo ve 3rd_Party hakkında

Koray Löker loker at pardus.org.tr
1 Ara 2006 Cum 18:24:43 EET

Hello all,

..*I guess I'm not a member of english speakers devel list so that I didn't
post there, if you think any other member might consider to read this please
forward.*..

I see the PisiDepo team as an organized team of volunteer developers... and I
think that all the Pardus developers (volunteer, core, chinese-speaker,
member of a team, independent, lone cowboy etc.) are aware of this
self-motivated, hard working, nice team...

But the repo discourse is really hard to relate issue with this fact. Do you
really think that any user of Pardus or someone else can understand the
difference of 3rdParty and PisiDepo trunks in the Contrib repo?

Does your organisational (or maybe corporal?) identity rely on a difference
like this??? Or more simply, does your goal to keep your trunk seperated to
help people appraise your efforts with a clear vision?

Some people offered to merge the trunks which have identical aims so that we
all will able to use repo more easily... When PisiDepo team objected to this
offer, neither there weren't a pressure much nor any attempt to find some
other solutions in fact...

However the debate goes on as PisiDepo team is taking this issue seriously and
continously, where we (all developers) take PisiDepo members' concerns
seriously...

I think, this is a "game" of organisational behaviour, a matter of identity...
But the actual tools for this game is loose; is much impotent. A trunk
differentation does not make a bunch of people a team itself, you know
that...

On the other hand, PisiDepo is a team for me, with their ongoing effort or let
me say with the commitment of the members to the project in general... In
this sense, please don't mix up the concepts of autonomy or independence with
being seperative...

You are free to contribute in any way you'd like and any make the pisi package
of any free software... If you need any tools, help, facilities etc. we (just
for once in this mail, we as core developers) are here to produce them for
you... This is a project of volunteerism and we see the contributions in this
perspective.

That's why we (the whole community again) won't need any sectarian,
fractionalist movement in the community...

I don't want you to accept any offer, but I want to underline that please
don't mix up the autonomy with seperativizm. We won't have such an infinite
resource to support any group with its spesific needs...

Resource in this context means any kind of productivity... Imagine that you've
made a package at the same time with a member of another prospective
developer team... The very same package... Maybe you have some additional
patches or include different features than the other but... You got the
point...

Do you think the effort of producing a package been spent twice for the same
software is acceptible?

You can look at the example of package-search-web-interface... (bugzilla
#4179) That was not a great example of something, but was a proof of how we
(aaaaallll the community of pardus-developers) can share the workload,
discuss about a solution and many other situations... (I hope someone can
summarize the example to Rajeev) I insist to use the tool being produced by a
pisidepo member *officially*...

If we don't have the same domain of communication, we will spend our effort
maybe more than we need... That will make us to lose our one of the most
important advantages of open-source development model... I am trying to
prevent this to happen when I'm writing this legendary length mambo-jambo...

We can afford just a standart developer tool/model for anyone/everyone... When
anybody criticize the tool, see a missing point, find it impotent in a way,
we can review the tool, develop it and use it together...

Having "repo sweet repo" for sub-communities (or independent communities) will
give us what? I really don't see the point, but I'm respectful with your will
as soon as the server administration is o.k. with the technical part... Which
seems to be ok at the moment...

So everyone, please consider my critics in this manner... Demand any need of
you/your staff from developer community but please don't identify your
presence just with a repo name... You and your contributions are much more
than that...

--
Koray Löker
/// Özgürlük için... http://www.pardus.org.tr ... for freedom ///