[Gelistirici] contrib svn 'si altındaki pisidepo ve 3rd_Party hakkında

Rajeev J Sebastian rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com
1 Ara 2006 Cum 13:11:04 EET

Hello Meren and other friends,

Let us consider some ideas:

1) There is a repository named devel/ in which stable packages go. Of
course, stable here is relative. The actual meaning of devel/ is that
these packages are necessary for Pardus OS, and they have a stability
requirement. At particular times, it is not necessary for these to be
stable.

2) There is a playground/ repos in which packages go before they are
taken into devel/. This repos is similiar to the testing repos of
Debian.

3) There can be an experimental/ repos, which seems similiar to the
unstable repos of debian.

Ostensibly, a package moves from experimental to playground to devel,
depending on its stability.

So then, what is the role of contrib ?

If there was only one development team, i.e., only core devels
(so-called Pardus developers), then only devel/, playground/ and
experimental/ is needed.

There is already a demarcation of repos, i.e., one for the extended
development community (i.e., those devels not part of the core team,
lets call it external contributors). This is called contrib/. Under
contrib/ there are 2 repos: one currently called pisidepo, which are
packages made by the organized group of external contributors, and one
called 3rd party, which are packages made by unorganized persons who
do not wish to join the community preferring to remain isolated.

In the current thinking, pisidepo is the very group of external
contributors who are not affiliated to Pardus core devels, but are
organized. We do not consider that there will be any reason for any
other group under any other name say XYZ, because why would such a
group be created ?

(Only if there is something to vie for, is there any need for multiple
groups. As far as pisidepo is concerned, we are giving "memberships"
to anyone, without any rules or formalities. All you do is come to
#pisidepo and in the future, register on our website for a user
account.)

We do not see such groups in any other distro, even Ubuntu. But
consider that Ubuntu has got so many sub-teams consisting of persons
who are in general not a part of Ubuntu official devels.

Now, since you do not wish to split the communities and since in
principle there are no multiple groups of devels, here is what you can
consider:
1) Since the pisidepo has been packaging for some time, and since
packages in pisidepo are pretty stable, they can be moved immediately
to devel. Also, pisidepo members who have made these packages be given
appropriate privileges to maintain their packages.
2) pisidepo repo can be removed.
3) 3rd paty repo is removed and its packages moved similiarly to
playground or experimental.
4) removal of contrib.

I say, removal of contrib, since there is only one development
community and all people in that development community whether they
are in 'core Pardus devels' or in 'other external contributors' should
use only one of 3 repos: devel/, playground/ or experimental/ based on
the stability of the packages.

Also, any group in future who may arise for whatever reason, may also
use experimental, playground or devel repos for their work.

Any opinions on this ?

Regards,
Rajeev J Sebastian