[Linux] Idaho Firm Entirely Migrates to Linux Desktops

From: Cetin, Gorkem (gorkem@gelecek.com.tr)
Date: Tue 17 Sep 2002 - 13:07:49 EEST

Tam adresi: http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-09-17-001-26-PR-DT-DP

PR: Idaho Firm Entirely Migrates to Linux Desktops with Ximian
Sep 17, 2002, 01 :00 UTC (4 Talkback[s]) (2940 reads)

Ximian, Inc. today announced that LinOra Corporation, a Boise, Idaho-
based professional services firm, transitioned its desktop PC users
across its entire office from Microsoft Windows to Linux--a move made
possible by Ximian Evolution, a groupware suite for personal
information management that runs on Linux and UNIX-based systems.
As a result of the switch, which took just three months to complete,
LinOra eliminated common Windows virus threats while reducing
licensing and maintenance costs considerably.

LinOra previously used PCs running Microsoft Windows and Microsoft
Office for all of its sales, development, and operations personnel. After
suffering repeated virus attacks and the associated downtime, LinOra
began to look at a Linux alternative, including the Sun StarOffice
application suite and the Mozilla web browser.

To complete the transition from Windows to Linux, LinOra installed
Ximian Evolution on its Linux systems.

"After severe bouts with the NIMDA and Klez viruses, we wanted to
mandate that all users be switched to Linux for added security and
increased protection," said LinOra CEO Kelly Hogan. "While most of
the pieces we needed to make the switch were available, we were
missing a high-quality email and personal information management
application to replace Microsoft Outlook. With its familiar interface and
robust feature set, Evolution became the foundation product that
enabled our entire company's changeover to Linux."

"Our customers are constantly looking for ways to cut costs while
maintaining a level of continuity within their IT systems," said David
Patrick, CEO and president of Ximian. "Many customers are frustrated
with the licensing costs and security implications of Microsoft and are
searching for a cost-effective alternative. With Ximian Desktop and
Ximian Evolution, we provide corporate customers with a complete
desktop environment, and LinOra is a testament to the fact that
businesses can make the change to Linux. We expect to see the pace
of corporate evaluations, pilots and deployments to continue to
accelerate."

"After the success of its own implementation, LinOra is now
recommending Linux to its customers as a secure, cost-effective
option for the desktop. The firm, which provides complete ERP
implementation services and infrastructure planning assistance to
large organizations and government agencies including the State of
Idaho and San Diego County Office of Education, is also installing
Ximian Desktop in its classroom facility.

Employed primarily for in-depth technical training of customers,
LinOra's classroom facilities are also used to instruct businesses
considering migrating to Linux with new ways of managing their
productivity environment through products like Ximian Desktop and
Ximian Evolution. During these sessions, LinOra demonstrates how
Ximian Desktop provides a stable, effective environment for managing
business-critical applications, something LinOra itself learned after
switching to Linux on the desktop.