[Linux-sohbet] [E-Democracy] Update - Video, UK Forums, Guidebook, Technology, (fwd)

From: Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Date: Tue 19 Apr 2005 - 01:38:48 EEST

>From clift@publicus.net Mon Apr 18 21:53:25 2005
From: "Steven Clift" <clift@publicus.net>
To: edem-announce@mnforum.org
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:51:40 -0500

        E-Democracy.Org - http://www.e-democracy.org
April 18, 2005 E-Democracy Update

1. New E-Democracy Experience - Videos tell our story
2. UK Expansion - Welcome Newham, Brighton & Hove
3. GroupServer - Open Source, Better Technology
4. Issues Forum Guidebook - 60 Pages
5. New Forum Rules - Major Update
6. Board Member Search

Special Note:

On Thursday, April 21, Steven Clift, Board Chair of E-Democracy.Org,
will be giving a public speech at the University of Minnesota titled,
"Everyday Citizens: Community Life in the Information Age." He
promises to spend part of his speech laying out ideas for the next 10
years of E-Democracy.Org activity in local communities. Full details:

 http://www.dowire.org/notes/index.php?p=15

Help E-Democracy.Org build on its success, donate $100 today:
        http://www.e-democracy.org/donate.html

1. New E-Democracy Experience - Videos tell our story

Last July we were "discovered" by folks involved with the UK Local E-
democracy National Project. They funded a number of interesting
activities over the last year.

To help explain our local Issues Forums and history, we've put
together a collection of Flash-based videos, animations, and text
here:

     http://e-democracy.org/experience

Special thanks to Anita Trivedi Pagey, John Birrenbach, Tim Erickson
for their efforts and our celebrity interview guests.

2. UK Expansion - Welcome Newham, Brighton & Hove

Wow. E-Democracy.Org now has two open local Issues Forums in the UK.

 Newham is getting going and the forum for Brighton & Hove is humming
along after less than two months. Read all about the UK pilot
projects from:

     http://e-democracy.org/uk

Read the recent headlines from all of our local forums at:

     http://e-democracy.org/today.html

Here is our evaluation of our pilot initiative for further reference:

     http://www.dowire.org/wiki/Issues_Forum_case

If you are in the UK, the United States, or anywhere in the world, we
now have a global model for local e-democracy. We aren't as big as
Rotary :-), but you are witnessing the birth of a new service club
model of the 21st century.

3. GroupServer - Open Source, Better Technology

For seven years, E-Democracy.Org has been looking for technology that
brings e-mail lists and web forums together in a dynamic and
effective
manner. We found it. With our UK resources, helped fund its open
source release:

     http://e-democracy.org/groupserver

We will be moving all of our forums to this system in the coming
months. Check out the forum messages in Brighton for a preview:

     http://forums.e-democracy.org/brighton-hove/groups/bh/messages

We see open source as a great opportunity for building citizen-based
e-democracy projects. If you agree, join our Technology Committee:
http://e-democracy.org/comments.html

4. Issues Forum Guidebook - 60 Pages

Are you ready to live the dream of online citizen engagement in your
community? Are you tired of waiting for someone else to make the
myth
of citizen participation in the information age a reality? Then
download and read our free 60 page guide on how to organize, launch,
and facilitate a local Issues Forum:

    http://e-democracy.org/uk/guide.pdf

Special thanks to Tim Erickson, Steve Kranz, and Michelle and Jon
Fure
for their work on the guidebook. A major complement to the guidebook
is a new article by David Brauer on the history and life of the
Minneapolis Issues Forum:

    http://www.e-democracy.org/research/minneapolisissues.html

With our guidebook, new technology, and update rules (see below) in
place, we have never been in a stronger position to work with active
citizens anywhere in the world ready to build an Issues Forum in
their
community. Ready to get started? Contact us:
http://e-democracy.org/comments.html

5. New Forum Rules - Major Update

Every few years we revisit our forum rules and make improvements
based
on participant input and our experience. Adopted in final form last
December, these forum rules now govern all of our forums. They make
it easier for new local forums to be established as well. Read up:

     http://www.e-democracy.org/rules

6. Board Member Search

The current Board, led by Vice Chair Mick Souder, is exploring names
for possible appointment to our Board of Directors. If you would
like
to nominate someone (please do not nominate yourself), drop a note
with details on that person to the Board at:

     nominate@e-democracy.org

We are also considering members for a virtual advisory committee of e-

democracy experts, political leaders, etc. Feel free to nominate
others you think would be interested in promoting our expansion and
activities.

        E-Democracy.Org - http://www.e-democracy.org

^ ^ ^ ^
Steven L. Clift - - - W: http://publicus.net
Minneapolis - - - - E: clift@publicus.net
Minnesota - - - - - - T: +1.612.822.8667
USA - - - - - MSN/Y!/AIM: netclift

UK Office Hours - 1pm - 11pm - - T: 0870.340.1266
Join my Democracies Online Newswire: http://dowire.org