[Linux] TOURBUS - 04 JAN 2005 - Firefox / J-Walk (fwd)

From: Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Date: Wed 05 Jan 2005 - 07:21:52 EET

Kasim ortasşindan beri 15 milyon kopyasi inidirilen Firefox
tarayicis hakkinda guncelşeme ve tarama motorlari hakkinda
ipuclari. Firefox'u www.mozilla.org,
sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/mozilla/,
ftp.linux.org.tr/pub/mirrors/mozilla/
adresleriden indirebilirsiniz.

Saygilar
Mustafa Akgul

              TOURBUS Volume 10, Number 45 -- 04 Jan 2005
                 Tourbus Home - http://www.TOURBUS.com
              Tourbus Forums - http://forums.TOURBUS.com
  [ For best results view this with a monospace font like Courier. ]

   Today's Tourbus Stops: Firefox Updates and Searches / J-Walk Blog

Howdy, y'all, and happy new year from deep behind the orange curtain
in beautiful Irvine, California, the national beverage of Denmark.

+-----------------------* * * ZipBackup * * *----------------------+
  As a Tourbus reader, you know you need to be careful about viruses
  and other nasties, but being careful is not enough! ZipBackup's
  Wizard makes backing up to CDs or DVDs a snap for beginners and
  ZipBackup is a powerful tool for experts. Download ZipBackup and
  try it for free. You won't want to use a computer without it.
  Get 25% off the ZipBackup regular price at
                          http://www.zipbackup.com/partners/tourbus

An estimated 15 million people have downloaded Mozilla Firefox since
November 9th of last year. And since most of the 100,000+ passengers
on our little bus of Internet happiness are among that 15 million
person hoard, I thought I'd share with you some Firefox tips and
tricks from time to time. Before we do that, though, let's do a
quick Firefox update.

   RELATED NEWS - http://www.tourbus.com/firefox-news.html

----------------
Patching Firefox
----------------

To make sure you have the absolute latest Firefox security patches,
open Firefox and then go to Tools > Options. On the left side of the
options window, click on Advanced [look for the silver gear icon.]
Scroll all the way down and then click on the Check Now button under
Software Update.

Firefox automatically calls home for updates, but like Windows Update
and Norton LiveUpdate, it's always best to do a check by hand every
now and then. Keep checking for updates until Firefox tells you to
stop ["Firefox was not able to find any available updates"], then
close the options window.

---------------
Adding Searches
---------------

In the upper right corner of every Firefox window is a bar that, by
default, lets you search Google. To find the bar:

     1. Point your index finger at Firefox's address bar, the box you
        use to type in web page addresses. [And notice that I said
        your INDEX finger. This is a family-friendly newsletter and,
        besides, you're pointing at Firefox not Internet Explorer.] :P

     2. Slide your finger horizontally to the far right of your
        browser window.

That's Firefox's search bar. Type in a keyword or keyphrase and
Firefox searches for that word or phrase at Google. But what if you
recently suffered a blunt force head trauma and now believe that
Google, Snuggle the fabric softener bear, and the BBC's Michael
Parkinson are all instruments of evil? Well, first, stop pointing at
your screen. We're past that part. Then, click your mouse on the "G"
icon in your search bar. This opens a drop-down list of other search
engines you can use. By default, Firefox can search:

     - Google
     - Yahoo
     - Amazon.com
     - Creative Commons
     - Dictionary.com
     - eBay

Just choose the search engine you want from the pull-down list.
Remember, though, your choice of search engine is "sticky": Firefox
keeps using that search engine until you change it in the pull-down
list.

How can you add additional search engines to Firefox's list? Just hop
on over to

     http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html

and then either browse or search for the search engine you'd like to
add. For example, I am a HUGE fan of Snopes.com, Barbara and David
Mikkelson's urban legend debunking site. To be able to search
Snopes.com from within Firefox, just

     1. Go to http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html

     2. Search for Snopes

     3. Click on the Snopes.com link.

Clicking on a search engine's link at mozdev.org just adds that link
to Firefox's drop-down list. Once you've added a search engine, all
you need to do is choose it in Firefox's pull down list, key in your
search terms, and then press the enter key on your keyboard. That's
it.

Spend some time browsing through
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html and you'll be pleasantly
surprised how many different search engines can be added to Firefox.
Oh, and how do you remove search engines that you don't want to use?
That's a little more complicated, but you can find step-by-step
instructions at

http://tinyurl.com/64vfk

------------------
J-Walk Blog
Audience: Everyone
------------------

This next stop has absolutely nothing to do with Firefox other than it
belongs on EVERYONE'S Firefox bookmarks list.

There are several reasons why I don't have my own web log [or "blog"]
and most of those reasons involve some form of sloth [the sin, not the
hairy things that hang from trees.] Heck, I only have to write ONE
Tourbus post a week and look at how well I maintain THAT grueling
schedule. :P

Fortunately, my laziness doesn't keep me from visiting other people's
blogs on a regular basis. And my favorite personal blog, hands down,
is John Walkenbach's J-Walk Blog at

     http://j-walkblog.com/blog/

Chances are you learned how to use Microsoft Excel by reading one of
Walkenbach's books or his monthly Excel columns in PC World magazine.
When Walkenbach isn't creating array formula calculators or writing
book pages at a pace that would make even Gibbon self-conscious [the
Decline and Fall guy, not the ape], he spends about three hours a day
surfing the net looking for new, interesting, or just plain silly
stuff. For example, where else but the J-Walk blog are you going to
learn how to make your own underwear, buy a stroboscopic guitar tuner,
or find out that you shouldn't eat your Kensington computer mouse? :P

Because of both the quality and the variety of stuff that Walkenbach
is able to dig up in his daily travels around the internet, I tend to
read the J-Walk blog a couple times a day. And you should too.

But don't just take my word for it. Check out the J-Walk blog and
then hop on over to the "Voices from the back of the bus" section of
the Tourbus forums [ http://forums.tourbus.com/ ]and let me know what
YOU think.

-------------------
Two quick apologies
-------------------

In my last post [16 December 2004] I reprinted a running joke from The
Daily Show on Comedy Central without properly citing the source. I
apologize. Some were also offended by the joke's content. Again, I
apologize.

+------- SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY JAMBOREE SPECIAL: InkJetsRus -------+
  Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, hang on to
  your hat! We are NOW offering you "3 for the price of 1" on all
  NEW equivalent EPSON and CANON Inkjet Cartridges. Prices from
  $6.75 for 3 black and $10.50 for 3 color.
        ---> http://www.InkJetsRus.net/tourbus <---
  NEW FREE CANON PRINTER. Three Models to Choose. Phone toll free
  for details 888-429-9373 (M-F 8:30 to 5:00)

That's it for today. Have a safe and happy week, and we'll talk again
soon.

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
     Copyright 1995-2005, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved

        Tourbus News Service - http://tourbus.com/news.html
        The Best of Everything - http://tourbus.com/best.html

      Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at the
              Tourbus Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com