[LINUX:25594] RE: YNT: [KONU DISI] Turkcell, UNIX sistem yoneticisi ariyor

From: Gokhan Sozmen USG (sozmen@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Mon 19 Feb 2001 - 20:10:14 EET

> Sun 10000 gibisi varmi ya?Bence onlar kendini
> mainframe zannetmiyor zaten oyle.Benim bildigim milyon
> dolar fiyati var onun
> Bir yerde okumustum orta donanimli bir sun 3500 linux
> 2.4.x serisi kerneli sadece 5 saniyede
> derliyordu.Kimbilir 10000 ne yapar...
>
> Power To Serve
>
> --- Murat SULUHAN <murat.suluhan@tesam.com.tr> wrote:
> > Merhabalar
> >
> > Ayrica Ankara ve İstanbulda kendini mainframe
> > zanneden Sun 10000 serisi
> > Unixlerden de var
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > |
> > | Murat SULUHAN
> > | TE.SA.M. T.U.R.K. / GLOBALSTAR
> > |
> > --------------------------------

Sun 10000 hakkinda bir yazi, Ingilizce icin ozur. - Gokhan
ClieNT Server News (Feb 5-9, 2001)

"Sun Isn't Shining"

"Dear, dear, dear, dear, dear. As Intel goes with the Itanium so goes Sun
with the UltraSparc and it doesn't go well in either case. Sun, for
instance, is having a terrible time getting yields from TI's UltraSparc III
factory. According to practice, there's a minimum allowable failure rate
before a wafer factory scraps the whole lot. UltraSparc is reportedly
failing the minimum and Sun has been forced to go back and validate the
remaining wafers by hand. Sources say it's happening with both the aluminum
and copper lines, although the copper line is a tad better off. Sun
reportedly faces the same issue with the higher-clocked UltraSparc IIs.
Sun's new server, by the way, is not expected to ship now till October,
official statements to the contrary. If true, that would make it three years
late. Rumors have the E3500 ready to go end-of-life without the new servers
being ready to go. The boxes Sun's currently selling, the 3500s-6500s, are
basically the same junk Sun came out with in '95. They made some minor
enhancements and renamed them, but the stuff is old. The vaunted E10000 is
way behind everyone else. Compaq, HP and IBM have newer, more stable
technology, even if Sun has the mind share. Sun's performance is poor, and
costs and concerns about end-of-life are running rampant. Add all the
up-time problems they've faced, the UltraSparc II spasms they've experienced
and the NDAs they used to cover them up and, well, you've got one very
cloudy day. Merrill Lynch's Tom Kraemer is starting to wise up and on
Tuesday morning put out a note saying Sun might not introduce its mid-range
server line at its analysts meeting on February 5 and might not even say
when it might at the meeting. "We think this may be perceived as a near-term
negative," he wrote. "This is important, in our view, because the new
microprocessors alleviate some of the price pressures that Sun is
increasingly under because of IBM and its new products." Yeah, well, if
we've got this right, part of Sun's problem relates to error correcting and
parity and choosing price over reliability."

 Listeden cikmak icin:
          unsub linux
 mesajini listeci@bilkent.edu.tr adresine gonderiniz.
   Lutfen Listeci icin MIME / HTML / Turkce Aksan kullanmayin.
 Listeci arayuzu: http://listweb.bilkent.edu.tr/yardim/bilkent/linux.html
 Liste arsivinin adresi: http://listweb.bilkent.edu.tr/