[LINUX:13539] Under the Brim | Red Hat | March 2000 (fwd)

From: Gorkem Cetin (gorkem@gelecek.com.tr)
Date: Mon 06 Mar 2000 - 20:11:45 EET

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:13:30 -0500
From: Under the Brim newsletter <under-the-brim-request@redhat.com>
To: Under the Brim subscribers <under-the-brim@redhat.com>
Subject: Under the Brim | Red Hat | March 2000

-----UNDER--------------------------------------------March 00-----
        - News and Notes from Inside Red Hat-
subject field.

-----------IN THIS ISSUE-----------
-- What Can Red Hat Do for Me?
-- Red Hat Gets Real
-- New Product Alert: Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition
-- Under the Brim Contest VI: Subliminal Messages
-- redhat.com Upgrades Community Web Site
-- Special Black Hat Offer
-- Under the Brim Contest V Winners

WHAT CAN RED HAT DO FOR ME?

Are you looking for an easier way to get what you need from Red Hat? If
so, check out the newest feature of redhat.com "What Can Red Hat Do For
Me?" You'll discover what makes open source solutions from Red Hat
-- more reliable and secure
-- less expensive to install and run
-- easier to configure and control
-- proven, scalable, and stable

And you'll see why Red Hat is the best source for open source
-- developer tools and support
-- applications support
-- training and certification
-- partner programs

Don't take our word for it--try "What Can Red Hat Do For Me?" today!
http://www.redhat.com/for_me

-----------------------------------

RED HAT GETS REAL

Real Player that is. Red Hat and RealNetworks have announced an
agreement to bundle the new Real Player 7 for Linux with the Red Hat
Linux operating system. For enterprise users, Red Hat Linux will also
include RealNetworks' RealServer 7.0, which provides Internet media
delivery for broadcasters, hosting providers and corporations.

The partnership will include development integrated media delivery
solutions based on RealSystemG2 and Red Hat Linux. RealPlayer 7 for
Linux will provide Red Hat Linux users access to a wide variety rich
media experiences including Real.com Take5. Service and support for this
enterprise solution will be provided by both companies. The first
solutions are available now from http://www.realnetworks.com as well as
from http://www.redhat.com .

For more info on this announcement, check out
http://www.redhat.com/about/2000/press_real.html

-----------------------------------

NEW PRODUCT ALERT: RED HAT LINUX ENTERPRISE EDITION

We're pleased to announce the next leap forward in open source
solutions, the Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition product line. We're
working in conjunction with top software vendors to provide tested and
integrated total Red Hat Linux solutions for business critical,
high-volume, e-business and enterprise environments.

The first of these offerings include Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition
for Oracle8i, Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition for Computer Associates
systems and storage management solutions, and Red Hat Linux Enterprise
Edition for SAP R/3. Future Enterprise Editions will target other key
application segments critical to enterprise computing and e-business,
including directory services, messaging, and ERP. The Red Hat Linux
Enterprise Edition product line features enterprise-class support from
Red Hat's worldwide support and solutions centers.

Open source development lets us and our partners to work together at the
deepest levels of the operating systems to develop a unified enterprise
platform. Together, we then produce a tested, integrated and configured
enterprise solution that assures maximum reliability, performance, and
availability.

In keeping with our commitment to open source and the open source
development community, we will continue to freely share all
modifications to the Linux OS with the open source community under
public licenses.

Check out the full story at
http://www.redhat.com/about/2000/press_enterprise.html

-----------------------------------

UNDER THE BRIM CONTEST VI: SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES

OK, get ready for the toughest Under The Brim contest yet. This month,
dig deep and extract a hidden meaning from the sentence we've provided
below. All you have to do is create a sentence or phrase without
rearranging the order of the letters in the original sentence.

Your sentence:
Buying a proprietary operating system is like buying a car with the hood
welded shut.

Sample answer:
Operate me, red.
Buying a proprietary _operat_ing syst_e_m_ is lik_e_ buying a ca_r_ with
th_e_ hoo_d_ welded shut.

The three most creative phrases will be listed in our next e-newsletter,
the winner will receive the Red Hat Hat Collection--a red baseball hat,
a black baseball hat, and a windsock hat. You'll wish you had three
heads.

To enter, send your submission to UTB@redhat.com. Please specify if you
are in the witness protection program and DO NOT want your name or
submission noted on the next e-newsletter, should you be selected as a
runner up or winner. Obscene entries have absolutely no chance of
winning, and will be mailed to your parents.

-----------------------------------

REDHAT.COM UPGRADES COMMUNITY WEB SITE

Interested in learning more about the open source community or joining a
user group? Our new community site on redhat.com for open source
developers and advocates is the place to start.

Community visitors can also check out our listing of open source events
worldwide and weekly community column, "The World According to Wanger"
from veteran Red Hat developer Mike Wangsmo.

Linux user groups can register your group, request freebies for your
latest installfest or demo day, update your LUG's listing, and check
out our resources list for other user group opportunities. Plus,
registered LUGs can enter our Winter LUG contest--send in your entry
today.

The world of open source awaits:
http://www.redhat.com/community

-----------------------------------

SPECIAL BLACK HAT OFFER

You asked for it, now we've got it. Our black Red Hat baseball cap is
now available for purchase for the very first time. Before you had to
buy a whole operating system or write sappy poetry to get it--now it's
yours for only $15 and change.

It's your lucky day. Get a hat at:
https://www.redhat.com/commerce/more_cs_redhatblackcap.html

And be sure to check out the rest of the neat Red Hat merchandise
available in our Cool Stuff store:
https://www.redhat.com/commerce/coolstuff.html

-----------------------------------

UNDER THE BRIM CONTEST V WINNERS

In last month's Under the Brim V contest, you sent us love poetry about
your favorite Linux features or applications. We were smitten by your
submissions. Especially these:

Honorable mention #1, from Rob Harries, Jr. for excellent rhyme and
meter. Somebody was paying attention in English class...

Rpms so nice and neet
Rmps are all complete
Type the name with a switch or two
and that is all you need to do
You save time and that is grand
I like the thought of one command.

Honorable mention #2, from Lee Stone, who submitted this limerick, just
in time for St. Patrick's Day...

there was an old man of London Town
who always gazed with a questioning frown
at the function seen on his linux screen
whose purpose he never was able to gleen
just why would he need to "reboot or shut down"?

And the winner of the battery-operated, glowing Red Hat mug is a poem
that comes to us from "Sharaku". It made us ponder the very meaning of
our existence, and convinced us that this prize has found its rightful
owner...

What is my login?
I've had too much beer . . .
Reinstall . . . such peace.

Congratulations, Sharaku, and enjoy that new mug.

http://www.redhat.com
PO Box 13588
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
1.919.547.0012

European Headquarters
http://www.europe.redhat.com
Alexandra House, Alexandra Terrace
Guildford, Surrey GU3 1DA, UK
+44 1483 300169

Copyright, 2000, Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved.

 Listeden cikmak icin:
          unsub linux
 mesajini listeci@bilkent.edu.tr'a gonderiniz.
   Lutfen Listeci icin MIME / HTML / Turkce Aksan kullanmayin.
  Liste arsivinin adresi: http://listweb.bilkent.edu.tr/