[LINUX:2431] Re: Migration to new Mail host (fwd)

Mustafa Akgul (akgul@bilkent.edu.tr)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 21:33:54 +0200 (EET)

Buna benzer bir soru bir kac gun once sorulmustu:
Bir makinda bilinmeyen kullaniclari bir diger makinaya yonlendirmek!

Saygilar
Mustafa Akgul
From: Andrzej Filip <anfi@polbox.com>
Sender: "comp.mail.sendmail mail newsgroup" <server-daemon@dl.ac.uk>

Dan Kubilos wrote:
> Seeking migration advice. My situation in a nutshell is:
> I admin internet services for a school district.
> Currently district wide e-mail services for some 800 staff is provided
> by sendmail version 5x running on a SunOS 4.1.3 box.
> I wish to move to intel hardware and take advantage of freeware/os.
> I have RH Linux running on an intel server.
> sendmail 8.8.7 on the Linux box is running fine.
> Now the tricky part.
> I need a sound strategy for migrating everyone's account from the SunOS
> box to the LINUX box.
> AND we have no database of unencrypted user passwords.
> What I thought of is:
> Implement the following group by group ( school by school for example )
> Create new accounts on linux.domain.org corresponding to current user
> names
> Create aliases on SunOS.domain.org that point to user_X@linux.domain.org
> Set masquerading on linux.domain.org so that mail is delivered as from
> user_x@domain.org
> Ask users to configure their e-mail clients to server linux.domain.org
> When this has been done for all groups, I can add MX records to dns
> sending all mail delivered to domain.org to linux.domain.org.
> I would appreciate any advice regarding the feasability of this approach
> and any other suggestions.

1) Make linux sendmail to relay email for all unrecognized local users to
sun
*.cf
DL[sun.we.edu]
*.mc
define(`LUSER_RELAY',`[sun.we.edu]')

2) replace sun by linux on your MX records list (DNS)

Migration
a) create account for a user on linux
b) create ~/.forward file for the above user to forward all email to sun
c) notify the user about his/her/its new account and its initial password
[ I have decided to be politically correct :-) ]
d) inform the user that ~/.forward must be deleted