[LINUX:1287] SQUID 2.0.RELEASE available (fwd)

Mustafa Akgul (akgul@bilkent.edu.tr)
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 02:35:52 +0300 (EET DST)

Forwarded message:
>From squid-announce-request@ircache.net Fri Oct 2 22:02:51 1998
To: squid-announce@ircache.net
Subject: SQUID 2.0.RELEASE available
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 12:56:59 -0600
From: Duane Wessels <wessels@ircache.net>

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/v2/2.0/

Squid-1.2 beta testing is *finally* over. In conjunction with
other changes for releasing new versions, we decided to
not use "1.2" any more and instead use version 2. Thus, the
first release is called Squid 2.0.RELEASE.

Documentation and other information is still pretty scarce at this
point. The FAQ does have a section on "1.2" which will shortly be
renamed to "version 2." If there are specific things you would like to
see addressed, please let us know.

Below are the changes from version 1.2.beta25. A longer list of
changes can be found on the web site.

Changes to Squid-2.0 (October 2, 1998):

- Added NAT/Transparent hijacking code from Quinton Dolan.
- Added actual filesystem usage to cachemgr 'storedir' page.
Only works for operating systems which support statvfs().
- Fixed HTCP compile-time bugs.
- Fixed quick_abort bugs. Configured values are stored as
Kbytes, not bytes.
- Removed fwdAbortFetch(). It breaks quick_abort and seems
mostly useless.
- Changed storeDirSelectSwapDir() to skip swap directories
when their utilization is over the high water mark ratio.
- Fixed off-by-one bug for dead neighbor detection (Joe Ramey).
- fixed bugs in Content-Range header generation
- changed the way Range requests are handled:
- do not "advertise" our ability to process ranges at
all
- on hits, handle simple ranges and forward complex
ones
- on misses, fetch the whole document for simple ranges
and forward range request for complex ranges
The change is supposed to decrease the number of cases when
clients such as Adobe acrobat reader get confused when we
send a "200" response instead of "206" (because we cannot
handle complex ranges, even for hits) Note: Support for
complex ranges requires storage of partial objects.
- Removed SNMP mib-2.system group from squid.
- Removed SNMP ability to iterate through ipcache and friends.
- Added SNMP ipcache/fqdncache basic statistics.
- Converted SQUID-MIB to SMIv2 (RFC 1902).
- Moved SQUID-MIB to enterprises section of the tree in preparation
of the split into PROXY-MIB & SQUID-MIB.
- Corrected minor errors in SQUID-MIB.
- Moved uptime into cacheSystem from cacheConfig.
- Corrected a number of get-next-request bugs, snmpwalk should now
return all objects and not skip some.
- Fixed netdbClosestParent() so it won't return sibling
peers.
- Fixed a bug with secondary clients on entries with
ENTRY_BAD_LENGTH set. We should release the
bad entry to prevent secondary clients jumping on.
- Changed MIB to prevent parse warnings at startup.

Duane W.