[Gelistirici] contrib svn 'si altındaki pisidepo ve 3rd_Party hakkında

Murat Şenel muratasenel at gmail.com
30 Kas 2006 Per 22:36:54 EET

Hi all,

30 Kas 2006 Per 21:45 tarihinde, Faik Uygur şunları yazmıştı:
> 30 Kas 2006 Per 01:47 tarihinde, Murat Şenel şunları yazmıştı:
> >  Hi all,
>
> Hi,
>
> > We had a discussion in #pisidepo on the proposal to merge pisidepo with
> > 3rd_party repo. We arrived at the conclusion that this is not needed. Our
> > reasons are outlined below.
> >
> > The current situation is that pisidepo is considered as a repository of
> > unsupported/experimental packages. 3rd Party packages are also similiar
> > to it. Hence the proposal is partly well founded. However, we would like
> > to stress one factor: pisidepo is not just an svn repository.
> >
> > We in #pisidepo consider ourselves as an independent community of 3rd
> > party developers of Pardus. By community, we mean a team. The packages we
> > create are, of course, unsupported by the core Pardus team. However, they
> > are supported by us.
>
> I think this is not a good idea. Pisidepo team as they call themselves are
> doing very good things.  The latest of their work that I liked very much is
> www.pardus-oyun.org. I hope it will continue to grow.

www.pardus-oyun.org is designed by Eren Kovancı who is not a pisidepo member
and Uğur Çetin and Eren Turkay contribute in his project actively. So, it's
not pisidepo project originally but gets a full support from us.

> contrib repository is an important repository that keeps growing and
> growing... and it completes the missing pieces of devel repository. You
> are doing a great job on this. As the chosen packages of the distribution
> we keep devel as small, and as managable as possible. Later as we grow,
> devel will surely also grow accordingly.
>
> In Pardus project i dont think, to separate ourselves to individual groups
> is a wise idea.. The one thing that should matter is we are _all_ Pardus
> developers.... We are all working in this project....  For it's success and
> growth.... We are one big team of Pardus developers and that should be it.

We want to say that we are not splitting the group. There is no split here.
Pisidepo is a name given to the group of external developers, i.e., persons
not affiliated to uekae or any other national bodies.

> Let's say in the near future some other group may come and call themselves
> some other name and start to keep another repository under contrib... And
> later some other, and some other... This is not a sane thing to do so...
>
> To make it short, contrib repository should be one repository that should
> hold all the packages that does not _or_ can not go to devel repository.
> Saying that I only maintain these packages is not a wise thing to do. It is
> simple... Either we delete the unsupported or unmainted packages or those
> should be maintained by _any_ of the voluntered Pardus developers.

First, we dont consider contrib as one repository, and neither that any
repository under contrib/ consists of experimental/unstable packages. We
consider contrib from a different point of view. Sometimes, it is possible
that a person who uses pardus in isolation from everyone, wants to make a
package and stop there (perhaps for his work, or pleasure). Such packages can
move to 3rd party. These are *possibly* unmaintained packages. It is also
possible for such persons that they may join pisidepo later and be part of a
wider community.  If they are possibly unmaintained, then what you said is
relevant: "Either we delete the unsupported or unmainted packages". However,
in the interest of preventing double work, we ask that such packages *not* be
removed, so that if in future we need to package that software, we can
immediately bug fix it, instead of starting from scratch. This reduces busy
work.

Devel/ repos is a repos upon which the stability and usability of Pardus OS is
heavily dependent. They consist of the basic packages that make this work.
devel/ committers give specific stable services for those packages. Contrib/
is also stable, pisidepo considers it stable for our group, i.e., a community
of people who use pardus daily and put it through the motions. If some
packages are useful to devel/ committers, say through deps, or because of an
expanding role of Pardus OS (such as because the Pardus OS can handle other
cultures like German, Dutch or even Indian), then such packages must surely
move to devel/. Because they are useful to a very wide group of people, even
casual or first-time users. Perhaps even people who after seeing a high
quality experience will look forward and find a place in pisidepo. Again, we
stress, that pisidepo is a community, not just for development.

> - Faik

On behalf of the Pisidepo team,
Murat Şenel