[Gelistirici] contrib svn 'si altındaki pisidepo ve 3rd_Party hakkında

Gürer Özen gurer at pardus.org.tr
1 Ara 2006 Cum 21:57:06 EET

01 Ara 2006 Cum 19:01 tarihinde, Rajeev J Sebastian şunları yazmıştı:

> There was also some discussion that contrib/ exists to put those
> packages that can not be placed into devel/. I dont know what that
> means, so I am going to ignore it.

In our official installation media and package repos, we won't provide many of
the packages currently maintained in contrib/

This is because we are mainly aimed at novice computer users, and they should
select their software based on tasks, not specific programs. We wont provide
twenty different desktop environments, but we will provide one which have the
necessary requirements.

We aren't distributing just a collection of free software, but we distribute a
complete and total operating system.

Well, at least that is the intent :)

Since, this is pretty limiting for some cases, we do keep another repo
(contrib/) which will hold programs providing same functionality with
different ways. That is the main criteria of contrib/. Nothing in contrib/ is
expected to be unstable or something. In fact I don't think we have to group
repos by stability. Based on my debian experience, I think that isn't useful
at all.

But I see that it is used for experimental packages too (like beryl for
example, not the package but program itself).

When we setup our community server (hopefully just after the release), we want
to build everything in contrib/ and provide a binary repo too.