[Linux-sohbet] 100 $'lik laptop - WSJ yazisi

From: Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Date: Tue 15 Nov 2005 - 14:51:01 EET

   November 14, 2005

 The $100 Laptop Moves Closer to Reality

  By STEVE STECKLOW
  Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
   November 14, 2005; Page B1

A novel plan to develop a $100 laptop computer for
distribution to millions of schoolchildren in
developing countries has caught the interest of
governments and the attention of computer-industry
heavyweights.

 First announced in January by Nicholas Negroponte,
 the founding chairman of the Massachusetts
 Institute of Technology's Media Lab, the initiative
 appears to be gaining steam. Mr. Negroponte is
 scheduled to demonstrate a working prototype of the
 device with United Nations Secretary General Kofi
 Annan on Wednesday at a U.N. technology conference
 in Tunisia.

  Mr. Negroponte and other backers say they have
  held discussions with at least two dozen countries
  about purchasing the laptops and that Brazil and
  Thailand have expressed the most interest so far.
  In addition, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney
  recently proposed spending $54 million to buy one
  of the laptops for every student in middle school
  and high school in his state.

Design Continuum's prototype of a $100 laptop
with hand crank, for students in developing countries.

 Although no contracts with governments have
 been signed, Mr. Negroponte says current plans
 call for producing five to ten million units
 beginning in late 2006 or early 2007, with tens
 of millions more a year later. Five companies
 -- Google Inc., Advanced Micro Devices Inc.,
 Red Hat Inc., News Corp. and Brightstar Corp.
 -- have each provided $2 million to fund a
 nonprofit organization called One Laptop Per
 Child that was set up to oversee the project.
 Mr. Negroponte says five companies are bidding
 to make the laptop, although he declined to
 name them.

  Mr. Negroponte remains eager to place the
  laptop in the hands of 100 to 150 million
  students. He says he has learned in
  educational projects in Cambodia and other
  developing countries that computers spur
  children to learn and explore outside the
  boundaries of a classroom, and share their
  discoveries with their families. "I do not
  think of them only in classrooms, but part of
  an integrated and seamless experience for kids
  and their families," he says.

   Still, the project would require governments in the developing
   world to come up with $15 billion to supply 150 million laptops,
   and it isn't yet clear how many countries can afford
   even a $100 machine. Technical hurdles also remain.

The device that will be shown in Tunisia is still an early version; Mr. Negroponte says
the screen alone will require another three months of development. The designers also
have yet to bring the overall price down to $100, although they say they are getting
close. "Even if the first ones are $118.50, as long as subsequent machines are less and
less expensive, that is what counts," Mr. Negroponte says.

 Major computer industry players appear to be taking the venture seriously, including
 companies like Microsoft Corp. that aren't yet participating. Microsoft could be
 confronting a laptop that could become a standard in the developing world -- one
 that, for now, would come without its dominant Windows software.

  Mr. Negroponte discussed the project last week with Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates
  and Craig Mundie, chief technical officer of advanced strategies and policy. "We're
  in serious discussions to determine what the appropriate type of involvement is
  with us with their project," says Mr. Mundie.

   Steve Jobs, Apple Computer Inc.'s chief executive, offered to provide free copies
   of the company's operating system, OS X, for the machine, according to Seymour
   Papert, a professor emeritus at MIT who is one of the initiative's founders. "We
   declined because it's not open source," says Dr. Papert, noting the designers
   want an operating system that can be tinkered with. An Apple spokesman
   declined to comment.

Under present plans, the first production version of the laptop will be