[Linux-sohbet] [DW] News - UK MPs Expenses Online, Trust through Online Transparency (fwd)

From: Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Date: Mon 01 Nov 2004 - 17:48:34 EET

Yalova'dan da bahsediyor.!

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:23:01 -0500
From: Steven Clift <clift@publicus.net>
Subject: [DW] News - UK MPs Expenses Online, Trust through Online Transparency

*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://dowire.org ***
*** Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

It is important to note that these UK MP expenses include all office
expenses.

In due time all legally public information compiled for
"accountability" whether it is the expenses claimed by a state
legislator or the spending on a holiday party by a Mayor's office
will be online. The general idea is that transparency will reduce
abuse and improve trust. Few people will actually look at the
details, but they will have a greater sense of trust by knowing that
if something is wrong it will more easily be discovered.

Steven Clift
http://dowire.org

P.S. I guess I've never posted about Yalova, Turkey. What car is
Mayor driving today? How much is in the city bank account? Etc.
http://www.e-government.govt.nz/docs/clift-200407/chapter13.html
mpls@mnforum.org/msg26578.html">http://www.mail-archive.com/mpls@mnforum.org/msg26578.html
Although, the site looks redesigned:
http://www.yalova-bld.gov.tr/?Belediye=mal_beyanlari
(Can someone in Turkey give us an overview?)

Oh, also back in 2001 don't forget "Towelgate" in Mexico:
http://english.pravda.ru/main/2001/07/03/9186.html
http://www.transparency.org/newsletters/2001.3/reports.html#mex
"In June it was uncovered that towels costing over US$ 443 each ...
scandal came to light through the disclosure of the purchases on the
government's Internet site." (a database of government procurement)

The site:
http://www.parliament.uk/about_commons/about_commons.cfm

From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3763440.stm

MPs' expense accounts laid bare

The House of Commons opens up MP expense claims to scrutiny.
MPs claim an average of £118,000 each a year from the public purse to
cover travel expenses, and to run their offices and second homes.
Details of the expense claims for the 659 MPs were made public for
the first time on Thursday on a web site.

They are paid a £57,000 salary and can claim twice as much again for
expenses.

Sir Archy Kirkwood MP, for the House of Commons Commission, said:
"This is a significant step towards openness and accountability and I
welcome it."

He added: "It's the first time that we have ever published so much
information. The taxpayer can really see how their money is being
spent."