[linux-sohbet] [Fwd: Re: What are the goals of Mozilla.org?]

From: Keltos Kirpi (keltoskirpi@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu 08 Apr 2004 - 09:42:30 EEST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: What are the goals of Mozilla.org?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:54:38 -0700
From: Doug Turner <dougt@meer.net>
To: mozilla-small-devices@mozilla.org
Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey,netscape.public.mozilla.small-devices

I am sure that I can not comment on the all of goals of mozilla,

but as for Minimo... Minimo is one of the most important fronts that

the Mozilla.org has. (okay, well maybe I a bit bias.)

Last I read, Linux currently makes up about 3% of the desktop and the

same for the consumer mobile markets. The linux usage or adoption rate

is increase much faster in the mobile market. More people are seeing

linux for devices as the obvious solution. Major manufacturers are

shipping linux on consumer devices such as the Sharp Zaurus. Linux

replacement OS's are reaching the point that non-geeks can use then

productively.

Many browsers in this space are limited that simple dhtml pages file to

layout. Others are huge memory consumers making them impossible to run

over the simplest page cycles. Minimo beat these browsers hands down.

Most of the goals of Minimo were shared by Mozilla. The majority of our

initial work was footprint and modularization. I think a goal of

Mozilla should be to foster continued work to make Mozilla smaller in

both disk footprint and memory usage. We have made allot of progress!

Mozilla owners should have a goal of minimizing footprint and making the

product as modular as possible so that we can remove optional component

for 'lite' projects such as Minimo.

With that said, Minimo needs more than that... We face some problems

that most of the traditional Mozilla user dont have. One of the obvious

problems is that most web pages and our client ui is designed for at

least 640x480. We need to think of better ways to make browsing such a

site not only do-able, but enjoyable. Glazman has done some excellent

work in the content area and has release a SSR extension for Mozilla,

kudos!.

Products like firefox have a chance on some of the high end mobile

device if its UI could notice that the resolution is too small and so

something smart. Right now, running the suite or the ng clients run

fine on many ARM devices but they are simply unstable since much of the

app ui isnt viewable.

Random needs|goals of Minimo in no particular order:

* Minimo needs to be running on QT. I have gotten many request for a QT

version of Minimo. If you know how to fix this port and have the time,

lets talk.

* Minimo needs UI love. We need some minimalistic eye candy.

* Minimo needs people to help identify code that can be removed if we

don't want it. For example, maybe you know about some code that we have

to handle some obscure or not frequently used feature. Tell me about it.

* Minimo needs some UI GTK help. If you have some time to do some gtk

hacking, please drop me a note. I have a few small tasks that I would

love to hand off.

Regards,

Doug Turner