[linux-sohbet] Fwd :Really simple question about PHP and Apache2 stability. Ready for production usage?

---------

From: Devrim GUNDUZ (devrim@gunduz.org)
Date: Tue 27 May 2003 - 14:51:32 EEST

    Merhaba,

    PHP çekirdek takımından birisinden gelen bir ileti var aşağıda. Gönderen
    kişi isminin gizlenmesini istediği için o kısmı kestim.
    ==========

    > Would you say that Apache 2 + PHP together are suitable for production
    > usage at the moment? For the kind of reliability where banks and other
    > large corporates would be accessing websites running on our internal
    > lan, with somewhat sensitive information (not transactions or anything)?

    Nope, not even close. And it is going to be a long time before it becomes
    a production quality combination, if ever. We are simply not very
    motivated to spend a lot of effort supporting a server that has pretty
    much no meaningful compelling features over Apache1. If you are simply
    looking for a threaded web server for serving up boatloads of simple
    requests quickly, I would suggest going with something like thttpd
    instead. It's not threaded, but it feels like it is performance-wise.

    The drawbacks with Apache2+PHP are:

    1. A typical PHP build includes lots of external libraries. The thread
         safetyness of these libaries is a big unknown. Even your own libpq
         is only thread safe if you are careful not to use CRYPT() in one of
         your queries (or have you fixed that?). There are similar weird
         caveats in many common libraries out there. Something as simple as
         gdbm is not thread safe.

    2. Even if you knew that every library you are going to use is thread
         safe, PHP compiled in thread safe mode is slower and much less tested.
         And I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig who puts up the first large
         Apache2+PHP site running in threaded mode.

    3. Apache2 supports a non-threaded mpm called prefork, but that means that
         the execution model is exactly the same as Apache1. If you are going
         to run it that way you may as well use the heavily tested and faster
         Apache1 server.

    4. The Apache2 filter API is needlessly complex and rather broken, so you
         can't even realistically run PHP as a filter at this point, you have to
         run it as a request handler. That completely defeats the coolness of
         the Apache2 filters, if that was the feature that drew you to A2 in the
         first place.

    Our suggested architecture at least on Linux/FreeBSD is Apache1 for your
    complex dynamic pages and thttpd for your simple static stuff. PHP
    support in thttpd is strong, so you could even use it for simple dynamic
    pages, but generally you want all the power and flexibility of Apache1 for
    any sort of complex site.

    ===

    Saygılar.

    --