[linux-network] POP before SMTP HOWTO (fwd)

---------

From: Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Date: Sat 27 Sep 2003 - 15:25:25 EDT

    Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:12:14 -0700
    From: SysAdmin <postlist@softi.com>
    Subject: POP before SMTP HOWTO

    For a while now, I've watched people on this list have varying levels of
    trouble getting POP before SMTP style authentication working.

    Years ago, I faced the same problem, and found a Perl program that solved
    the problem nicely. It was an adaptation of a similar Perl program that
    worked less well (but had the same name). The new one reads a FIFO so the
    authentication is virtually instantaneous, eliminating undesirable delays
    between fetch and being allowed to send.

    I've created a web page with both the program and a (hopefully) short and
    understandable step-by-step set of instructions that can be used to install
    it. I wouldn't mind some extra eyes if someone wants to proof it for
    errors, and of course, suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

    It can be found at:

    http://www.mchenry.net/popauth.html

    Regards,

    Mac