[linux-network] virus/attachment content filter (fwd)

---------

From: Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Date: Wed 12 Nov 2003 - 00:19:17 EST

    Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:57:58 -0600
    From: "Jem Berkes" <lists03@pc9.org>
    Subject: virus/attachment content filter

    I have released renattach 1.2.0rc2 and am posting a note here because I
    have made my software compatible with postfix and documented the
    installation procedure, thanks to details about postfix I've learned here.
    Install procedure: http://www.pc-tools.net/unix/renattach/INSTALL

    http://www.pc-tools.net/unix/renattach/

    The short of it is that renattach can rename or delete potentially
    dangerous e-mail attachments to protect end-users from harmful content. The
    filter is invoked as a simple pipe for use in a wide variety of systems.
    The 'kill' feature (which eliminates entire messages) can also help sites
    deal with resource strains caused by modern virus floods. Written in pure
    C; much less overhead than full-fledged virus scanners or perl scripts.
    Also much more effective than home brewed scripts. This is the result of 6
    months of development, making sure both valid and invalid MIME is
    recognized. Including decoding of RFC 2047, RFC 2231, and variations.

    Regards,

    Jem Berkes