[linux-guvenlik] [Fwd: CERT Advisory CA-2002-30 Trojan Horse tcpdump and libpcap Distributions]

From: Ilker Gokhan (ilker.gokhan@linux.org.tr)
Date: Thu 14 Nov 2002 - 09:06:30 EET

Bilginize...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: CERT Advisory CA-2002-30 Trojan Horse tcpdump and libpcap
Distributions
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:58:00 -0500

CERT Advisory CA-2002-30 Trojan Horse tcpdump and libpcap Distributions

    Original issue date: November 13, 2002
    Last revised: --
    Source: CERT/CC

    A complete revision history is at the end of this file.

Overview

    The CERT/CC has received reports that several of the released source
    code distributions of the libpcap and tcpdump packages were modified
    by an intruder and contain a Trojan horse.

    We strongly encourage sites that use, redistribute, or mirror the
    libpcap or tcpdump packages to immediately verify the integrity of
    their distribution.

I. Description

    The CERT/CC has received reports that some copies of the source code
    for libpcap, a packet acquisition library, and tcpdump, a network
    sniffer, have been modified by an intruder and contain a Trojan horse.

    The following distributions were modified to include the malicious
    code:

      tcpdump

        md5sum 3a1c2dd3471486f9c7df87029bf2f1e9 tcpdump-3.6.2.tar.gz
        md5sum 3c410d8434e63fb3931fe77328e4dd88 tcpdump-3.7.1.tar.gz

      libpcap

        md5sum 73ba7af963aff7c9e23fa1308a793dca libpcap-0.7.1.tar.gz

    These modified distributions began to appear in downloads from the
    HTTP server www.tcpdump.org on or around Nov 11 2002 10:14:00 GMT. The
    tcpdump development team disabled download of the distributions
    containing the Trojan horse on Nov 13 2002 15:05:19 GMT. However, the
    availability of these distributions from mirror sites is unknown. At
    this time, it does not appear that related projects such as WinPcap
    and WinDump contain this Trojan horse.

    The Trojan horse version of the tcpdump source code distribution
    contains malicious code that is run when the software is compiled.
    This code, executed from the tcpdump configure script, will attempt to
    connect (via wget, lynx, or fetch) to port 80/tcp on a fixed hostname
    in order to download a shell script named services. In turn, this
    downloaded shell script is executed to generate a C file (conftes.c),
    which is subsequently compiled and run.

    When executed, conftes.c makes an outbound connection to a fixed IP
    address (corresponding to the fixed hostname used in the configure
    script) on port 1963/tcp and reads a single byte. Three possible
    values for this downloaded byte are checked, each causing conftes.c to
    respond in different ways:

      * 'A' will cause the Trojan horse to exit

      * 'D' will cause the Trojan to fork itself, spawn a shell, and
        redirect this shell to the connected IP address (Note that
        communication to and from this shell is obfuscated by XORing all
        bytes with the constant 0x89.)

      * 'M' will cause the Trojan horse to close the connection and sleep
        for 3600 seconds

    To mask the activity of this Trojan horse in tcpdump, libpcap, the
    underlying packet-capture library of tcpdump, has been modified
    (gencode.c) to explicitly ignore all traffic on port 1963 (i.e., a BPF
    expression of "not port 1963").

II. Impact

    An intruder operating from (or able to impersonate) the remote address
    specified in the malicious code could gain unauthorized remote access
    to any host that compiled a version of tcpdump with this Trojan horse.
    The privilege level under which this malicious code would be executed
    would be that of the user who compiled the source code.

III. Solution

    We encourage sites using libpcap and tcpdump to verify the
    authenticity of their distribution, regardless of where it was
    obtained.

    Where to get libpcap and tcpdump

    While the compromise of these distributions is being investigated, the
    tcpdump and libpcap maintainers recommend using the following
    distribution sites:

           http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcpdump/
           http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpcap/

    Sites that mirror the source code are encouraged to verify the
    integrity of their sources. We also encourage users to inspect any and
    all other software that may have been downloaded from the compromised
    site. Note that it is not sufficient to rely on the timestamps or
    sizes of the file when trying to determine whether or not you have a
    copy of the Trojan horse version.

    Verifying checksums

    The MD5 hashes of the vendor suggested updates for libpcap and tcpdump
    are as follows:

      tcpdump

        md5sum 03e5eac68c65b7e6ce8da03b0b0b225e tcpdump-3.7.1.tar.gz

      libpcap

        md5sum 0597c23e3496a5c108097b2a0f1bd0c7 libpcap-0.7.1.tar.gz

    As a matter of good security practice, the CERT/CC encourages users to
    verify, whenever possible, the integrity of downloaded software. For
    more information, see

           http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2001-06.html

Appendix A. - Vendor Information

    This appendix contains information provided by vendors for this
    advisory. As vendors report new information to the CERT/CC, we will
    update this section and note the changes in our revision history. If a
    particular vendor is not listed below, we have not received their
    comments.

Conectiva

      We have checked all our released libpcap and tcpdump packages and
      confirmed that they do not contain the trojan code.

Debian

      Problematic packages are only distributed in Debian/unstable. I
      have examined both source packages and they did not contain the
      trojan code the HLUG reported on their web page. Hence, I guess
      that Debian distributes safe source.

MontaVista Software, Inc.

      We have examined our sources, and our software does not contain
      this trojan. We are not vulnerable to this advisory.

SuSE

      SuSE Linux products are not vulnerable.

    Feedback can be directed to the author: Roman Danyliw, Chad Dougherty.

    This document is available from:

CERT/CC Contact Information

    Email: cert@cert.org
           Phone: +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)
           Fax: +1 412-268-6989
           Postal address:
           CERT Coordination Center
           Software Engineering Institute
           Carnegie Mellon University
           Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
           U.S.A.

    CERT/CC personnel answer the hotline 08:00-17:00 EST(GMT-5) /
    EDT(GMT-4) Monday through Friday; they are on call for emergencies
    during other hours, on U.S. holidays, and on weekends.

Using encryption

    We strongly urge you to encrypt sensitive information sent by email.
    Our public PGP key is available from
    http://www.cert.org/CERT_PGP.key

    If you prefer to use DES, please call the CERT hotline for more
    information.

Getting security information

    CERT publications and other security information are available from
    our web site
    http://www.cert.org/

    To subscribe to the CERT mailing list for advisories and bulletins,
    send email to majordomo@cert.org. Please include in the body of your
    message

    subscribe cert-advisory

    * "CERT" and "CERT Coordination Center" are registered in the U.S.
    Patent and Trademark Office.

    NO WARRANTY
    Any material furnished by Carnegie Mellon University and the Software
    Engineering Institute is furnished on an "as is" basis. Carnegie
    Mellon University makes no warranties of any kind, either expressed or
    implied as to any matter including, but not limited to, warranty of
    fitness for a particular purpose or merchantability, exclusivity or
    results obtained from use of the material. Carnegie Mellon University
    does not make any warranty of any kind with respect to freedom from
    patent, trademark, or copyright infringement.

    Conditions for use, disclaimers, and sponsorship information

    Copyright 2002 Carnegie Mellon University.

    Revision History
      November 13, 2002: Initial release