[Dernek] Bir haber

From: Serhat Ayan (serhat@ayan.org)
Date: Sat 30 Oct 2004 - 11:57:46 EEST

Webmail.us, whose outsourced e-mail service is aimed at companies that have
between five and 500 employees, adopted open source software to gain
scalability, said Patrick Matthews, co-founder and chief executive officer
of Webmail.us and of its parent company Excedent Technologies Inc. in
Blacksburg, Virginia.

"Using open source software allows us to tap into the open source community
and move faster than with commercial manufacturers," Matthews said. "It
helps us with long-term scalability, which is important because we're
growing rapidly."

Excedent, founded in 1999, launched Webmail.us about a year ago. The
subsidiary sells the service directly to customers and already has about
3,500 companies as clients.

>From a platform based on Windows running in-house applications, Webmail.us
has moved to Red Hat (Profile, Products, Articles) Inc.'s Linux operating
system with open-source e-mail applications such as PostFix, SquirrelMail,
Courier, and Clam A/V. Coupled with infrastructure enhancements to its data
center, Webmail.us now offers clients a guaranteed uptime of 99.99 percent,
Matthews said. Webmail.us also supports IMAP4 (Internet Message Access
Protocol Version 4) and POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) and features antivirus
protection.

Webmail drops Windows for open source platform
Company moves to Red Hat's Linux OS

By Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service October 29, 2004

Webmail.us, which provides hosted e-mail service for small and medium-size
businesses, will announce next week a raft of improvements to its service,
including a major migration of its core e-mail platform from Microsoft
(Profile, Products, Articles) Corp. Windows to an open source platform.

Along with this platform revamping, Webmail.us now has a new Web mail
interface designed to resemble Microsoft Corp.'s familiar Outlook; options
of larger mail-boxes (100M bytes or 1G-byte); a message-preview pane;
improved search capabilities; an advanced HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
editor; multilingual support for the spell-checker; expanded ability for
importing and exporting addresses; and an auto-complete address feature.

While the new Web interface and the guaranteed up-time are fine features,
Chicago Internet Inc. sticks with Webmail.us primarily because of its spam
filtering and blocking capabilities, said Mike Biersma, Chicago Internet
president. "Webmail.us is right on the leading edge of blocking spam,"
Biersma said.

When Chicago Internet, a Web and print design firm, switched to Webmail.us
in mid-May, about 97 percent of the e-mail that Biersma received was spam,
and he estimates he spent about an hour each day cleaning out his in-box of
unsolicited messages. His employees also were affected by a daily spam
avalanche. "We were getting buried with spam," he said.

Since the eight-person company began using Webmail.us, the spam problem has
become a minor nuisance. "The occasional spam gets through, but now mostly I
only get good e-mail. I've gained about an hour a day. It has been a huge
difference in my business and for my employees," said Biersma, who has begun
referring clients to Webmail.us.

Webmail.us also offers a control panel for clients to manage their accounts,
add and delete mail-boxes, change passwords, view statistics and configure
spam filter settings.