[Linux] W2Knews: MS Denies OXP Crack (fwd)

From: Bora GUNGOREN (bora@ieee.metu.edu.tr)
Date: Thu 07 Jun 2001 - 09:21:12 EEST

---------- Forwarded message ----------

              W2Knews[tm] Electronic Newsletter
            Vol. 6, #41 - June 7, 2001 - Issue #276
Published by sunbelt-software.com since 1996 - ISSN: 1527-3407
  'Immediate Notification Of Important Windows NT/2000 Events'
       Read all back issues here: http://www.w2knews.com/
**********************over 600,000 Readers***************************

   This Issue of W2Knews contains:

1. EDITORS CORNER:
      * MS Denies OXP Crack
2. TECH BRIEFING:
      * Bandwidth Flavors
3. NT/2000 RELATED NEWS:
      * How the OXP Licensing Works
      * Windows XP May Have Instant Messenger On Steroids
4. NT/2000 THIRD PARTY NEWS:
      * Look Before You Leap to AD. Then Check TEM!
      * June Special for Print Queue Manager
5. W2Knews 'FAVE' LINKS:
      * This week's links we like. Tips, Hints and fun stuff.
6. BOOK OF THE WEEK:
      * Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference
7. HOW TO USE THE MAILING LIST
Instructions on how to subscribe, sign off or change your address.

******************SPONSOR: SWEET SECURITY SOLUTION*******************
         ...15 MIN. LATER HE WAS IN THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE!
A high school network administrator installed Event Log Monitor on
classroom servers to evaluate system performance. The next day, ELM
alerted him that a student was trying to break into the system.
Within 15 minutes, the would-be hacker was in the Principal's office
waiting for his parents to arrive. Use Event Log Monitor to keep tabs
on your security perimeter. Because school boxes aren't the only
computers teenagers like to hack into. Your 30-day eval is here:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=3D533

1. "EDITORS CORNER"

      * MS Denies OXP Crack

Hi NT/W2K-ers,

It sounds like I have made some people in MS a bit concerned. They
came out with a denial of my Office XP crack and said this may
have been a confusion about licensing. More in the NT/2000 Related
News section below. Boy, a lot is happening in the industry. It's
hard to keep up. I'm getting input from about 25 channels and picking
out the really interesting stuff is almost a full time job. But hey,
I'm not complaining. This is fun stuff to do.

Warm regards,

Stu.
(email me with feedback: w2knews@tampabay.rr.com)

HINT: If you need a quick test to see if your email works, send one
to this email address. It sends one back immediately! echo@psi.com

*********************SPONSOR: USE EXCHANGE?**************************
 ~ The Total Solution For Automated Distribution List Management! ~
ActiveDL saves time and money by allowing you to easily automate the
creation and maintenance of Exchange distribution lists. ActiveDL
is an incredible time saver as you can use ActiveDL's rules based
criteria to automate the creation and maintenance of distribution
lists. With ActiveDL you now easily maintain large and complex lists
without having to manually add and remove members all the time.
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=3D261

2. TECH BRIEFING

      * Bandwidth Flavors

Last issue, I pulled a bandwidth out of my hat (OC148) that I thought
would be high up there. One of those unattainable "ideal-scenes".
Well, some one helped me out of my dreams and sent me a very helpful
explanation of how the Internet speeds actually stack up. Most people
start with a T1, but if you want more, here goes!

OC (Optical Carrier) circuits come in a variety of bandwidths, but
"OC-148" is not one of them. The OC hierarchy goes as follows, starting
with a T3/DS3 electrical carrier and then on to an OC-1:

DS3 (Electrical) =3D 44.736mbits/sec =3D 28 T1s/DS1s
STS1 (Electrical) =3D (1) DS3 @ 44.736mbits/sec with SONET (Synchronous
Optical NET) overhead =3D 51.840mbits/sec
OC-1 (Optical) =3D (1) STS1 on Optical facilities
OC-3 =3D (3) OC-1's =3D 155.52mbits/sec
OC-9 =3D (9) OC-1's (not commonly used) =3D 466.56mbits/sec
OC-12 =3D (12) OC-1s or (4) OC-3's =3D 622.08mbits/sec
OC-18 =3D (18) OC-1s (not commonly used) =3D 933.12mbits/sec
OC-24 =3D (24) OC-1s (not commonly used) =3D 1.244gbits/sec
OC-36 =3D (36) OC-1s (not commonly used) =3D 1.866gbits/sec
OC-48 =3D (48) OC-1s or (4) OC-12s or (16) OC-3s =3D 2.488gbits/sec
OC-192=3D (192) OC-1's or (4) OC-48s or (16) OC-12s or (64) OC-3s =3D
9.953gbits/sec

The reason for the stair-stepping of the OC Hierarchy is due to the
fact that the next available level of multiplexing ('muxing") of
lower-level circuits is usually 4: (4) OC-3s =3D (1) OC-12, and
(4) OC-48s =3D (1) OC-192.
This muxing scheme is usually dictated by the equipment manufacturers
and is pretty much an adopted standard in the Telecom industry - hence
the lack of the lesser-common bandwidth aggregations like OC-9, OC-18,
etc. The only exception is the OC-3, which was needed to allow the
upper-level hierarchy to work. Hope this tidbit of info helps in the
future! -- Scott Kindorf -- Network Technician

Thanks a lot Scott :-)

3. NT/2000 RELATED NEWS:

     * How the OXP Licensing Works

You all read the last issue #275. Some one sent me an email and said
"with this key, I can run it all". MS denies that, and said that the
real answer may lie in a misunderstanding over the details of MS new
licensing agreement. Well, no one from MS took the trouble to pick
up the phone and explain me how I was wrong, so for the moment I'm in
a wait-and-see mode.

The article goes on with (and I quote)

"If you buy a copy of Office XP off the shelf, or for a single user,
the accompanying activation key will allow Office XP to be installed
and activated on two machines: a primary desktop and a secondary laptop.

"But in a corporate environment the activation key does not have to
be entered on every machine, otherwise the systems administrator
would be "tearing his hair out in frustration", according to a MS
spokesman.

"It is likely that, in this case, someone had obtained a copy of the
corporate edition of Office XP, which would already have been activated.
A spokesman for the Redmond giant said that, as far as Microsoft is
concerned, "the code had not been cracked" and, although some bootleg
copies of Office are appearing, "the activation system was only
designed to stop casual copying of software". (end quote)

Yeah, right. Here's how it looks like it works. Here is a story from
some one who just received their brand new OfficeXP. Thanks Daniel!

All Office XP Media is "keyed" for a type of media - Retail boxed
copies will only accept retail keys (I don't know if it is an
algorithm within the key or a block of keys assigned as retail). But
Corporate IT staff would go bonkers trying to lock down all these
"ACTIVATIONS" to their installed copies of Office. So MS came up
with a solution and it is to be implemented with all XP designated
licensed products - Corporate version media keys!

My newly arrived media did NOT have a product key sticker anywhere
to be seen. I got confused and then remembered a nightmare I had
the other night. MS Open licensing's website stores the key to my
30 copies! I have to go to that site and enter the new agreement
number to get my Product Key and there it stays nice and safe until
something yucky happens to their server or something. That's not
the nightmare though.... Here's what I found, this was taken directly
from the MS eOpen site that stores my license information.

"Open Product Key. To install certain licensed products you will
need to use a specific Open product key (OPK). This OPK is issued
to your company for your exclusive use for each specific license
purchase. Because your company will be held responsible for
unauthorized use of the product keys assigned to your Open License,
you agree to use your best efforts to keep a secure record of this
product key including not disclosing this product key to any
unauthorized third party."

YIKES! Better not share that key! On the line item that contains
Office XP is a golden (yellow) key icon (really small and at first
I did not even realize what it was) and if I click on that I get
the following: Product Key Product description: Office XP Pro
Enterprise Win32 OLP NL. Your Open License Product key is
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.

Do not share this information with anyone outside of your organization
This text within the pop up can not be selected for copy/paste so you
have to write it down the old fashioned way. Now I used my key on that
copy of RETAIL software and guess what? No activation needed! I used
the RETAIL key on my Open License Media and guess what - that key no
workie!

So corporate users can purchase ONE boxed copy of Office XP and use
their Open license KEY with it for all installs or they can order
media from Microsoft's World Wide Fulfillment center (you will need
your license agreement number to complete the order) and use that same
key. It's not hacked it's just what key you use!"

Fair enough. So one corporate key that leaks out to the Internet
and everyone can use it. OK, I got it. Sure. OXP is not hacked. [grin]
And fair warning, there is a lot of new code in OXP. Test, Test, Test
and test again before you deploy. There -will- be bugs and some of
them are going to be serious. Here's the article:
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D060701-OXPCrack
--------------------

      * Windows XP May Have Instant Messenger On Steroids

MS will intro a field-test version of WXP that boosts the features
of its instant-messaging software. This puppy does text, chat, video,
audio and telephony services.

It's supposed to be called the "Windows Messenger", and the code is
MS's attempt to bundle IM with other communications code and to beat
AOL Time Warner's IM technology. AOL is already screaming bloody murder.

This field-test happens to be at the same time as negotiations between
the MS and AOL that are about whether MS will include the AOL icon into
WXP. They are running into some hitches. Up to now the two have worked
together but this may fall apart now. Windows Messenger will be more
closely tied to the OS compared to earlier MSN messaging service flavors.

MS is looking to add a bunch of features and more or less redefine the
IM category. If you look at the past, they are doing the same thing they
did with Outlook. Version 1 was bare bones. Now it has all kinds of bells
and whistles, including a calendar. The new MS-IM will have built-in
telephony, and video conferencing. But if the quality is actually good
enough, this will open up a whole other can of worms. Will it bypass
your local PBX? What's the network load going to be, and how about
security? Hmmm, not even to think about the connection speed issues.

This stuff is all peer-to-peer. Kinda like Napster as you are talking
directly to the IP address of the other person. If you are in the corporate
side of things, this needs to be thought through before you deploy. I
can think of a few things that not everyone will like with this concept.
Also, later today I'll be shown a fully secure, in-company IM application.
More about that later. Background article on ZDNet:
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D060701-WXPMessenger

4. NT/2000 THIRD PARTY NEWS:

      * Look Before You Leap to AD. Then Check TEM!

Remember the old saying, =93Look before you leap=94? Well, it seems that
after the initial wave of Windows 2000 marketing has subsided many of
you are taking that advice to heart. As our earlier Sunbelt/Giga Survey
of Windows 2000 (Issue #252) adoption indicated many companies are
embracing the more stable W2K code for their application servers but
are not ready to jump into a full fledged commitment to Active Directory.
We are also seeing many more companies stepping back from their initial
evaluation of Active Directory and saying, "We are going to wait a while
before we try and tackle this much change".

Active Directory promises many desirable features and they may still
not be out of reach. Newly Released Trusted Enterprise Manager 4.0
delivers today the administrative features that you need as an Admin.

With TEM, Security Managers and Network Administrators gain the power
to get control over the growing challenges created by a WNT/2000
network. Coupling task automation with an audited delegation model
increases network security and administrative efficiency while
measurably lowering time you spend.

TEM 4.0 implemented with MDD=92s new Password Bouncer prevents vulnerable
passwords from being used by employees or contractors. The new "Admin
by Report(TM)" combined with ESR from Small Wonders produces the most
comprehensive view of the Windows NT/2000 security infrastructure
available today. TEM uncovers security holes and immediately closes
them. Advanced reporting and Active Administration prepare your
network for domain consolidation and migration to Windows 2000.
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=3D255
----------------

      * June Special for Print Queue Manager

There are several vendors that are running June specials. UltraBac,
Storage Central and also PQM. Ask your sales rep for these specials:
Print Queue Manager has lowered pricing. Now get PQM for only $795.00
per print server. Remote Admin licenses are unlimited at NO charge!

Print Queue Manager for Windows NT/2000: This product allows full
printing management for a Windows NT/2000 network. Features include
Print Redirection, Printing Disaster Recovery, Load Balancing, Printer
Status, Printer Grouping and Print Broadcasting.

Print Queue Manager is a revolutionary new tool for managing printers
on your Windows NT network.

With Print Queue Manager's exclusive APM=99 (Automatic Print Management)
technology, which provides the ability to move jobs between printers,
Print Queue Manager provides administrators with the power to eliminate
printer downtime and identify printing bottlenecks anywhere on the network.

With PQM it is no longer necessary to walk to a remote server to administer
your printers and solve common printer problems. With Pop-Up notifications,
users will be notified when printers go down or get errors or when their
print jobs have been moved.

With Windows NT, managing printers requires you to install each printer
driver locally and view each queue in a separate window. Print Queue
Manager eliminates the need to install printers locally and all network
printers can be managed from a single window! With Print Queue Managers
Print Folder's, common tasks that used to take hours and hours now can
be done with the click of a button. Designed as the best of breed printer
management solution, Print Queue Manager handles from just a few printers
to thousands of printers spread across an entire enterprise network.

For more information on Print Queue Manager or to download a fully
functional evaluation please click here:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=3D669

5. W2Knews 'FAVE' LINKS:
                               =3D=3D=3D
The Launch of Office XP. A good 60 sec. summary of features & background.
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D060701FL-OXPLaunch
                               =3D=3D=3D
Steve Gibson claims WXP allows uncontrollable DDOS attacks. Yowser!
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D060701FL-WXPInternet
                               =3D=3D=3D
Want to know more about Itanium. HP has a page about it.
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D060701FL-HPItanium
                               =3D=3D=3D

6. BOOK OF THE WEEK:

      * Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference

Administer Microsoft's leading messaging and collaboration system
effectively with help from this comprehensive resource. Discover
everything you need to successful deploy and administer Exchange
2000 Server, and gain valuable insight into directory-enabled
networking application technology. Learn to seamlessly integrate
Exchange 2000 Server with Windows 2000 as well as how to work with
PKI and Active Directory. This all-inclusive reference also details
all of the new features of Exchange 2000 Server--including installing
and configuring the Instant Messenger. Practical, authoritative, and
thorough, this is the most complete E2K Server guide available.

http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D060401BOW-BookOfTheWeek

the following customized link:

http://www.w2knews.com/login.cfm?id=3D6584087253393265

What Our Lawyers Make Us Say
These documents are provided for informational purposes only. The
information contained in this document represents the current view
of Sunbelt Software Distribution on the issues discussed as of the
date of publication. Because Sunbelt must respond to changes in
market conditions, it should not be interpreted to be a commitment
on the part of Sunbelt and Sunbelt cannot guarantee the accuracy
of any information presented after the date of publication.

INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT
WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND FREEDOM FROM INFRINGEMENT.

The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of
this document. This document may be copied and distributed subject
to the following conditions: 1) All text must be copied without
modification and all pages must be included; 2) All copies must
contain Sunbelt's copyright notice and any other notices provided
therein; and 3) This document may not be distributed for profit.

All trademarks acknowledged.
Copyright Sunbelt Software Distribution, Inc. 1996-2001.