[LINUX:21888] Under the Brim | Red Hat | November 2000 (fwd)

From: Gorkem Cetin (gorkem@gelecek.com.tr)
Date: Fri 17 Nov 2000 - 22:43:23 EET

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:35:27 -0800
From: Red Hat <RedHat@redhat.rgc2.net>
To: gorkem@gelecek.com.tr
Subject: Under the Brim | Red Hat | November 2000

---UNDER-----------------------------November 2000---
    -News and Notes from Inside Red Hat-
this email.

-----------IN THIS ISSUE-----------
-- Get a free hat when you buy Red Hat Professional Server
-- Red Hat and NCSU establish first open source-based
university
-- Webcast: Learn about Red Hat and IBM e-business solutions
-- Red Hat Linux to be installed in 15,200 servers in retail
chain
-- Red Hat Embedded Linux chosen for Thin Client POS System
-- Buy Stronghold 3--Get Red Hat Professional Server FREE!
-----------IN EVERY ISSUE-----------
-- Upcoming events
-- Success story of the month: Elektro-Material AG, Zurich
-- Under the Brim Contest 13 results: Red Hat Linux Rocks On
-- Under the Brim Contest 14: Shadow Man Power--Activate!

GET A FREE HAT WHEN YOU BUY RED HAT PROFESSIONAL SERVER

You can never have too many hats. Especially really cool ones.
Right now when you buy Red Hat Professional Server, we'll
send you one more.

Of course you also get OpenSSL with 128-bit encryption for
secure communication, Linux kernel 2.4 readiness, USB support
for mice and keyboards, and easy graphical installation with
autodetection of hardware. Plus support: 30-day telephone
installation support, 90-day Web-based installation support,
30-day Web-based Apache configuration support, and 180 days
of Red Hat Network access.

And you get the hat, too.

Get yours today:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EW

RED HAT AND NCSU ESTABLISH FIRST OPEN SOURCE-BASED UNIVERSITY

Red Hat and North Carolina State University have announced an
initiative to standardize their College of Engineering academic
computing environment (Eos) on open source technologies. The
program will introduce open source software to thousands of
College of Engineering students while giving them access to
the latest computing and development platforms.

Read more:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EU

WEBCAST: LEARN ABOUT RED HAT AND IBM E-BUSINESS SOLUTIONS

When: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 at 10 AM - 11:30 AM CST

You're invited to join our next Web broadcast on November 29
as IBM and Red Hat product experts discuss how newly announced
bundles can help you leverage your existing resources for
quick and easy deployment on Linux.

Register for the webcast:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EUV

Get more info about the Red Hat/IBM bundles:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EV

RED HAT LINUX TO BE INSTALLED ON 15,200 SERVERS IN RETAIL CHAIN

In one of the largest Linux distributions ever, Japanese retailer
Lawson, Inc. plans to install 15,200 servers running Red Hat
Linux. The servers, part of IBM's new eServer xSeries, will be
used in about 7,600 convenience stores to power the stores'
"Loppi" kiosks. Customers will use these kiosks to book airline
and concert tickets, as well as download music, movies, and
other Web content.

Read the complete story at:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0ET

RED HAT EMBEDDED LINUX CHOSEN FOR THIN CLIENT POS SYSTEM

Red Hat has joined with Wincor Nixdorf to develop the BEETLE
Point-of-Sale (POS) system based on Embedded Linux, called
the BEETLE NetPOS. The intelligent, scalable, thin client
systems are server-centric to help counter the high costs
of software distribution and system maintenance.

Read more about the project:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EX

You really should read about all the cool embedded stuff we do:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EUW

BUY STRONGHOLD 3--GET RED HAT LINUX PROFESSIONAL SERVER FREE!

No, Stronghold is not a professional wrestling move, or
maximum security prison. It's a secure 128-bit web server
with OpenSSL--built on Apache Web Server. If you buy Red Hat
Stronghold 3 before December 1, we'll throw in a copy of Red
Hat Professional Server for free. (That's a $179.95
value, lucky you.)

Get it:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EY

UPCOMING EVENTS

WANTED: Growing technology company with revolutionary business
model and industry momentum seeks eager trade show attendees
for intelligent conversation, product demonstration, and long
walks in the booth...

LISA2000
New Orleans
Dec 6-7
Booth #127

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EZ

SUCCESS STORY OF THE MONTH: ELEKTRO-MATERIAL AG, ZURICH

With a catalog of more than 80,000 items, Elektro-Material AG
(EM) is the leading wholesale supplier to the Swiss electrical
installation industry. EM, a subsidiary of global Internet
solutions provider Alcatel, has the motto "one order, one
delivery, one invoice," and it takes a lot of logistical
coordination to make this decentralized enterprise work
efficiently. In 1999 EM processed more than 1 million orders,
and recognized the need for an enterprise-wide computing
solution that would bring file, print, and email services
to every desktop in the company.

"Constant growth and rising demands on the computer system
made the installation of a network inevitable," says Heinz
Frei, director of Information Technology for EM. "We needed
an infrastructure that would allow us to take full advantage
of a PC environment."

Read the rest of this story and others here:

http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/cc?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmkE0EB

While you're there, share your story.

UNDER THE BRIM CONTEST 13 RESULTS: RED HAT LINUX ROCKS ON

Last month we asked you to choose a song that best matches your
non-Red Hat Linux OS experience. We received some great entries.
And we really want to thank everyone who wrote to us and said
they enjoyed the contest. So did we. Here are some of the
entries we liked best:

The sentimental favorite, from Rowdy de Beer...
U2 "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" / Rattle and Hum

The highly evolved, from Dave Miller...
Mozart "Requiem"

The 90s one-hit wonder, from Chris Delaney...
"(I Hate) Everything About You" - Ugly Kid Joe / America's Least
Wanted

The wow, great choice, but just can't beat the Bradys, from
Alan Eldridge...
David Bowie "Always Crashing in the Same Car" / Low

And the winner, from Kevin Martin, who dug deep into the past
and came up with pure 70s television greatness:
Brady Bunch "Time to Change" / Meet the Brady Bunch

C'mon sing it with us, Peter's cracking voice and all...
"When it's time to chaa--aa-nge!!"

Nice work, Kevin.

UNDER THE BRIM CONTEST 14: SHADOW MAN POWER--ACTIVATE!

Superman is really strong. Wonder Woman deflects bullets with
her bracelets. The Incredible Hulk turns green, splits his
pants, and runs around in cut-offs. If the Shadow Man (the
guy in our logo) were a superhero, what would his special
power be?

Send your entries to utb@redhat.com

The winner will receive an official Red Hat fedora signed by
Red Hat founder Bob Young, the original Shadow Man superhero
who continues the fight for truth, justice, and the Canadian
way.

Please keep the entries short, preferably fewer than 25 words.
By submitting your entry, you give us permission to publish it
in next month's Under the Brim. If you'd rather not see your
name published in the newsletter, please mention this when you
send your entry. One entry per person, please.

Note: If you send in your entry and don't win, we will not
honor requests for a recount. Even if it's real close. Sorry.

Under the Brim is a monthly publication of Red Hat, Inc.

Corporate Headquarters
http://www.redhat.com
PO Box 13588
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Tel: 919 547-0012
Fax: 919 547 0024

Europe Headquarters
http://europe.redhat.com
10 Alan Turing Road
Surrey Research Park
Guildford
Surrey GU2 7YF
UK
Tel: 44-1483-300169
Fax: 44-1483-574944

Japan Headquarters
http://www.redhat.com/jp
Akihabara HF Bldg 7F, 3-14-10 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 101-0021 Japan
Tel: 81-3-3257-0411
Fax: 81-3-3257-0410

Asia-Pacific Headquarters
Unit 15, 23 James Street
Fortitude Valley
QLD 4006
Australia
Tel: 61-7-3257-4811
Fax: 61-7-3257-4800

Copyright, 2000, Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved. We mean it.

This message was sent by Red Hat, Inc. using Responsys Interact (TM).

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail from Red Hat, Inc.:
    http://redhat.rgc2.com/servlet/optout?koDVEnhkrLtFnLsLJLrDJhtDmk

To view our permission marketing policy:
    http://www.rsvp0.net

 Listeden cikmak icin:
          unsub linux
 mesajini listeci@bilkent.edu.tr adresine gonderiniz.
   Lutfen Listeci icin MIME / HTML / Turkce Aksan kullanmayin.
 Listeci arayuzu: http://listweb.bilkent.edu.tr/yardim/bilkent/linux.html
 Liste arsivinin adresi: http://listweb.bilkent.edu.tr/