TOURBUS - 13 Apr 1999 - Media Finders (fwd)

Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:57:43 +0300 (EET DST)

Forwarded message:
Approved-By: bobrankin@ULSTER.NET
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:33:16 -0400
Sender: The Internet TourBus - A virtual tour of cyberspace <TOURBUS@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From: Bob Rankin <bobrankin@ULSTER.NET>
Subject: TOURBUS - 13 Apr 1999 - Media Finders
To: TOURBUS@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

_________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________ ___ _
/ | / | | / | \
| SAVE! 2 FOR 1 ON MOST INKJET CARTRIDGES / | \
|__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/ | \
/ /______|----\
| EPSON S020089: 2 FOR $25 / EPSON S020189: 2 FOR $26 |//////| |
| EPSON S020191 2 FOR $26 / EPSON S020093: 2 FOR $14.50 |//////| |
| CANON BCI 21: 2 FOR $10.50 / CANON BX-3 FAX $20 EA. |//////| |
| 100 SHEETS 1440 DPI PHOTO PAPER 27 LB $13.50 |//////| |
| http://www.acsmsupplies.com/tourbus.html |//////| |
Or CALL 1-888-429-9373 |//////| |
\________________________________________________________|______|____|
/ \ / \ / \
\___/ \___/ T h e I n t e r n e t T o u r B u s \___/
Free Subscription Info and Archives at http://www.TOURBUS.com

TODAY'S TOURBUS TOPIC: MEDIA FINDERS

Tired of endless searching? You'll discover some effective tips in
this issue that'll help you FIND the multimedia files you're looking
for. But before we get rolling, I wanted to let you know that the
TOURBUS Archives is new and improved! Visit the TOURBUS home page,
click on ARCHIVES, and you'll find the very latest issues (even this
one) are available and searchable in a variety of ways.

A special thanks go out to today's sponsors - ACSM Supplies, and the
folks who offer Internet Call Manager & Spreadsheet Assistant. Visit
them and say thanks!

+-------------- INTERNET CALL MANAGER - FREE TRIAL! ----------------+
Are you missing important calls while online? Internet Call Manager
takes those worries away. When someone calls, a pop-up window shows
their name and number. You can play a greeting or ignore the call in
complete privacy. No need for Call Waiting, Caller ID or expensive
hardware. And it's only $5 per month - much less than the cost of a
second line. Try our FREE No-Obligation trial today at:
+----------------(( http://www.StopMissingCalls.com/freetrial/5 ))---+

+-------- SUPERCHARGE EXCEL with THE SPREADSHEET ASSISTANT --------+
Rated 5 stars by ZDNet and "Best of the Net" by PC Computing
Add over 200 features and functions to Microsoft Excel!
- Eliminate the wild screen scrolling when you select a range
- Easily change formulas, insert Sticky Notes & much more!
+----- FREE SOFTWARE JUST FOR TRYING ---> http://www.add-ins.com ---+

ALTAVISTA MEDIA FINDER
----------------------

Are you searching for a photo, audio clip, or a movie preview?
Try the AltaVista Media Finder. With over 17 million searchable
images, audio clips and video files in their online database, chances
are pretty good you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

<A href="http://image.altavista.com">
http://image.altavista.com </A>

Searching For Images
--------------------

For example, I searched for images with the keyword "pink rose", and
found quite a few nice images. Once you get your first set of results,
you have several options to explore further:

- Click on NEXT to view more results for your keyword(s)
- Move the mouse pointer over an image to see related text
- Click on an image to go to the web page where the image was found
- Click on "About This Image" to see the image format, size, etc.
- Click on "Visually Similar" to images that are (you guessed it)
visually similar to the one shown.

This last feature is my favorite. I clicked on the Visually Similar
link for one of the pink roses and got some other nice pink flowers,
a guy with funny shorts sitting in a lounge chair, and a picture of
the South Park gang. Computers are funny.

Searching for Audio & Video
---------------------------

If you're after a sound byte from the Bugs Bunny show, or a video clip
from Titanic, it's out there. I found some really funny parodies at
Uncle John's RealAudio Jukebox while searching for "bugs bunny".
I liked that page so much, I'll give you the address below. (Don't
miss "Order The Egg Fu Young", a parody of a Billy Joel song.)

<A href="http://jhanch.web2010.com/rajuke.htm">
http://jhanch.web2010.com/rajuke.htm </A>

SCOUR.NET
---------

Scour.Net is a search engine and guide to multimedia on the Internet.
You can use it to find audio, video, images and animations related to
Movies, Music, Radio, Sports and Television, News and Education. The
site is organized in a way that makes it easy to find multimedia
resources on websites that are relevant to your interests. Try out
Scour.Net or their new Beta site at these addresses:

<A href="http://www.scour.net">
http://www.scour.net </A>

<A href="http://beta.scour.net">
http://beta.scour.net </A>

MP3 SEARCH
----------

If you're looking for MP3 music files, the Lycos search engine has a
section of their site dedicated to this hot topic. (If you missed
Lee Overstreet's guest article on MP3 last month, you can find it
in the TOURBUS Archives.) The MP3 SEARCH site lets you type in the
name of an artist or song and then presents you with a list of
sites where you can download the song.

<A href="http://mp3.lycos.com">
http://mp3.lycos.com </A>

YAHOO IMAGE SURFER
------------------

This site is similar to the Altavista Media Finder, but might suit
you better if you prefer the Yahoo approach of drilling down into
nicely organized subject-oriented hierarchies. You can find images
in categories such as Arts, Entertainment, Science, Recreation,
People and Vehicles. Try it out at:

<A href="http://ipix.yahoo.com">
http://ipix.yahoo.com </A>

Just keep in mind that when it comes to multimedia on the Web,
copyright violations are rampant. You can't get into trouble by
looking or listening online, but if you plan to use any copyrighted
materials you find floating around in cyberspace on your own website,
be sure to get permission from the author or copyright owner first.

See you next time! --Bob Rankin

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
Copyright 1995-99, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved

Do You Like Tourbus? Recommend It and You Could Win a Palm Pilot!

Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Archives & Advertising Info: Online at http://www.TOURBUS.com