Is Red Hat becoming too successful? (fwd)

Gorkem Cetin (e077245@narwhal.cc.metu.edu.tr)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:00:51 +0200 (WET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 99 13:33:29 EST
From: Linux World Editor in Chief <LinuxWorld@emailch.com>
To: gorkem@linux.org.tr
Subject: Is Red Hat becoming too successful?

LinuxWorld: Putting Linux to Work
http://www.linuxworld.com

January 30, 1999

In this issue:

*Will Red Hat become the Microsoft of Linux?
*Red Hat in the news
*Red Hat's Bob Young explains why Linux won't Balkanize
*Compaq renames Digital Unix
*A Linux desktop wish list
*Apache's runtime configuration explained
*Security at the 43rd IETF conference

Dear LinuxWorld Subscriber:

Some readers have been writing us lately, wondering if Red Hat
Software might be getting too big for its britches. Apparently there
is some concern that, with all its recent success, Red Hat may
become the Microsoft of Linux. Editorial Director Nick Petreley
examines this question in his latest installment of "The Penguin
Brief."

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-penguin.html?01-30

That Red Hat has been successful is beyond dispute. Hardly a week
goes by without some new Red Hat partnership being announced. This
week's was with HP's NetServer division:

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-hp.html?01-30

And a recent LinuxWorld poll found that 73 percent of our readers
think of Red Hat as the distribution that is "becoming synonymous
with Linux."

http://www.linuxworld.com/cgi-bin/pollresults.cgi?pollfile=synonymous.dat

In keeping with the week's focus on Red Hat, we've published an
opinion piece by Red Hat CEO Bob Young explaining why Linux will not
go the way of commercial Unixes like Solaris or Compaq Tru64.

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-thesource.html?01-30

Don't know what I mean by Compaq Tru64? Read this.

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-digitalunix.html?01-30

Also, if you haven't checked out the site recently, we have some
interesting stories on:

What desktop applications does Linux need most?

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-vcontrol.html?01-30

Apache's runtime configuration explained.

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-uptime.html?01-30

Security and the "8th layer" at the 43rd IETF conference.

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-01/lw-01-ramparts.html?01-30

Regards,
Robert McMillan
Senior Editor
LinuxWorld

*************** Advertisement *************************************

WIN an APC NetShelter complete with a Smart-UPS 1400 Rackmount UPS!
APC's Smart-UPS RM delivers premium uninterruptible power providing
the most advanced management features available in its class. For
enhanced network performance and reliability, visit:

http://www.apcc.com/go/banner/rackmount/index.cfm?tsk=i974z

To stop receiving such messages, send email to lwunsub@emailch.com
with a subject field of:

UNSUB linuxworld gorkem@linux.org.tr lw1387

Questions? Email linuxworld@emailch.com

Distribution, database maintenance and response management
by The Email Channel, Inc. For more information, send e-mail
to info@emailch.com