[LINUX:1685] Re: getting on the internet useing linux with a ppp account (fwd)

Gorkem Cetin (e077245@narwhal.cc.metu.edu.tr)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 17:18:43 +0200 (EET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:28:01 GMT+2
From: hall003@hltrsa.pwv.gov.za
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: getting on the internet useing linux with a ppp account

Hi, How can I get on the internet with redhat linux
useing a ppp account?
ppp support needs to be compiled into your kernel.
If that is the case, the following should work:
run minicom as root and configure it for the correct baud rate and com
port. I use ttyS0.
Note, the capital letter S in ttyS0
Once minicom has told you that it has initialized the modem,
type at and enter
The modem should respond with ok

then type atdt123456
where 123456 is the number of your isp
You shoulld receive a username prompt where you enter your username.

aat the password prompt, enter your password.
In my case, i can then telnet to machines etc.
ppp is not running yet. in my case, i then type ppp and enter.
some funny charactors should then start comming over the screen.
This is the host trying to establish a ppp link.
press ctrl-a and then q and then enter.
this exits minicom without dropping the connection.
you should then be back at your unix prompt.
noow, type pppd /dev/ttyS0 and enter.
if the thing does not complain, and goes back to the unix prompt,
it has most likely worked.
to see if it did, type ifconfig and enter.
you should see a new ip address in an entry for an interface called ppp0
You now need to do a route add command to tell your
machine where to look for other hosts.
You also have to create the file /etc/resolv.conf
in this file you give the ip address of your domain name server.
you should now be fully connected.
I am running slacware and first had to install the ppp package.
Hope this is of some help.
greetings, Willem

---
Send your message for blinux-list to blinux-list@redhat.com
Blinux software archive at ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux
Blinux web page at http://leb.net/blinux
with subject line: unsubscribe

---