[LINUX:1522]

Burak DAYIOGLU (burak@eti.cc.hun.edu.tr)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:36:20 +0300 (EET DST)

Slm,
Aşağıdaki mesaj oldukça keyiflendirdi beni... Umarım sizi de
keyiflendirir:

(Mesaj Spectrum listesinden; spectrum, cabletron'un network management
software'i)

sevgiler,
bd

-----------------

Chris McDonough writes:
> Does anyone other than me think that Spectrum on a free UNIX variant
> (e.g. Linux/FreeBSD) would be a win for the Spectrum community?

YES! This would save us a tremendous amount of money. The cost
to set up a Sun workstation for the graph makes it tough to justify.
We end up making users suffer by sharing a single machine.

> If you can cut $4000 or more off the price of hardware and software by
> running an NMS on a free UNIX variant, who's losing? I'd love to
> support Spectrum on Linux (I've had very good luck with Linux). It's
> stable, very well-documented through critical mass on Usenet, and it's
> free.

With Intel and Netscape investing in Red Hat who will be creating
an Enterprise support center, this is *VERY* viable.

> I don't know how much work it would be to port the Spectrum code over to
> Linux. I have absolutely no clue. But since it's already been
> established on all sorts of UNIX variants, I can't imagine it could take
> more than a few months of work to put the code into a shape where it
> would compile. Tuning its performance... and making it really
> stable.... I dunno.

Sybase was asked how much effort was involved in porting their
Adaptive Enterprise Server to Linux, their answer was:

"we typed 'make'"

> But porting it to Linux would also be received well by a lot of
> sysadmins who tinker around with free UNIX variants, and would bring the
> recognition of the Spectrum apps up considerably by catering to the
> "geek" crowd (who are the primary users of the app anyway).

I would suggest that having at least the Graph would be a great start.
I don't mind having a Sun as the server, but if we could distribute
the Graphs on Linux, that would be great.

Daniel Speers
Sr.Network Engineer
Jefferies & Co., Inc.
dspeers@jefco.com