[LINUX:1481] RE: EXT2 for NT? Need reference

Imran Geriskovan (imrana@doruk.com.tr)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:17:38 +0300 (EET DST)

------------------------- Orjinal Mesaj --------------------------

Many people responded including Pluimer, RandalX T who wrote:

> I don't have an answer for you but when you find it let me know. I will
> need that capability too.

The following are my conclussions to this problem.

(1) There are a set of tools at:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/dos/ext2nt-1.06.tar.gz
that work a bit like the mtools, but are much more difficult and
less complete. The ext2nt tools include:
e2ls
e2pwd
e2cat
e2cp
e2cd2
which do more or less the obvious things, but they are difficult
to use, because of the way path names are specified. At times
one must set a global variable that includes the inode of the
desired directory. e2cd2 helps you get this inode number, so the
task is easy enough, but very clumsey.
Also, the ext2 disk is read only. e2cp should probably be renamed,
e2get.

Still, I do recommend ext2nt. It isn't convenient, but it is
quite workable and very useful; especially considering the
alternatives.

(2) Peter van Sebille (http://www.yipton.demon.co.uk/) has written
software to mount a ext2 partition on a Windows 95 box. It
is read only, and has some known problems; but basically works.
I have not tryed it, as it does not work from NT. Peter is
currently working on extending this work to NT.

(3) Someone suggested that I look at Interix (http://www.Interix.com),
formerly known as Softway Systems - Makers of Open NT. They
make an excellent Unix subsystem for NT. As far as I know, it
does not support any local filesystems like ext2. They expect this
support to come from Windows.

Thanks to all who responded.
Dave Mandel

David Mandel, Linux Activist dmandel@transport.com
Internet Provided by: Transport Logic (503) 243-1940
Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
Portland * Vancouver * Seattle * Salem * Eugene * Bend