[LINUX:1383] [Fwd: Builder Blast: The best things in life are free]

Kemal Gençay (kemalg@future-2000.com)
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:52:47 +0300 (EET DST)

--------------F644D87424819800AF2B2CAD

--------------F644D87424819800AF2B2CAD

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:10:10 -0700
Sender: CNET Builder Dispatch <BUILDER-DISPATCH@DISPATCH.CNET.COM>
From: Builder Dispatch <bu-dispatch@CNET.COM>
Subject: Builder Blast: The best things in life are free
To: BUILDER-DISPATCH@DISPATCH.CNET.COM

Builder Blast: The best things in life are free
October 8, 1998
Vol. 2, No. 41
http://www.builder.com/

Apache is the most popular Web server on the planet, partly because it
doesn't cost anything. At least, it doesn't cost any money.

The price you pay to use open source software like Apache comes in doing
without the technical support that's usually part of the package when you
buy commercial software. (Of course, considering the state of service and
support in the software industry, that may not be too big a sacrifice.)
Instead of paid support personnel, Apache help comes from a loosely
organized but extensive network of interested developers and
users--reachable via a wide variety of Web sites and newsgroups.

This week, it's CNET Builder.com's turn to join that ad hoc coalition with
our own collection of 19 useful tips and tricks for Apache servers. In
simple, no-nonsense terms, we'll show you how to get your Apache server up
and running and how to make the most of some of its advanced capabilities.
Just as important, we'll help you explore the network of enthusiast-based
resources who support their favorite server for love, not money.

Microsoft and Netscape: eat your hearts out.

Fredric Paul
Editor, CNET Builder.com
fredpaul@cnet.com

http://www.builder.com/

2. Builder Downloads: Communicator 4.07 for the Mac, Photoshop 5.0, and
Batavia 1.0
3. Builder Buzz: Should we design for the Web of the past?
4. Builder Events: Allaire's ColdFusion 4.0 Preview Seminar and GEO
Interactive's "Wake up your Web site" West Coast Seminar Tour
5. Get blasted: How to subscribe/unsubscribe to the Builder Blast
6. Talk back: How to reach us here at Builder.com

=======================ADVERTISEMENT===================================

Get on board for EarthTour, a series of full-day educational sessions on
enterprise Web applications. Listen to Forrester Research's market
perspective. See real-world applications. Learn to develop and deploy HTML
and Java applications today.

http://www.builder.com/Advertising/earthtour.html?bb.earthtour

A. "Maximum Apache": Get the lowdown on the Web's most popular server. Our
19 exclusive Apache tips give you the helpful hints you need to set up and
configure your own open source server. Plus, we point you to the best
Apache resources on the Web. So forget Microsoft and Netscape, and become
an Apache cowboy!

http://www.builder.com/Servers/Apache/index.html?bb

B. "RexTech: Lotus Domino tries Web building": Is Notes/Domino Release 5 an
awesome Web application? Rex Baldazo reviews the Domino Designer portion of
this three-piece software suite and finds that the glitches in working with
images and tables ultimately undermine its power to produce functional Web
sites.

http://www.builder.com/Servers/RexTech/100598/index.html?bb

ATTENTION WEB TOOL DEVELOPERS: DEMO YOUR PRODUCT TO 1,000+ WEB PROFESSIONALS!

Apply now to demo your product in the Technology Showcase at CNET
Builder.com Live! New Orleans '98. This three-day technical conference will
provide more than 1,000 professional Web builders with successful
techniques and strategies for building world-class Web sites. The
Technology Showcase is an exclusive, by-application-only product exhibition
area offering vendors a focused, level playing field for introducing new
products to cutting-edge Web professionals. Only newly released, alpha,
beta, or R&D versions of innovative products are chosen for participation.
Apply now, space is limited!

http://www.builder.com/live?dd.bl.no98.ts.3

BUILDER DOWNLOADS: COMMUNICATOR, PHOTOSHOP, AND NEW JAVA MIDDLEWARE

A. Netscape Communicator Professional Edition 4.07 (PowerPC complete
install): This version for the Mac gives you Netcaster, Bitstream fonts,
and multimedia plug-ins.

http://www.builder.com/Downloads/Mac/Result/TitleDetail/0,1004,0-17286-g,00.html

B. Adobe Photoshop 5.0: Download the demo version and get multiple levels
of undo and redo, editable text with character-level formatting, flexible
and precise color management controls, and built-in support for spot-color
channels.

http://www.builder.com/Downloads/PC/Result/TitleDetail/0,1004,0-27664-g,00.html

C. Batavia 1.0: This Java middleware allows you to write distributed
applications that support and implement Java presentation, Java business
functionality servers, and Java JDBC calls.

http://www.builder.com/Downloads/PC/Result/TitleDetail/0,1004,0-24421-g,00.html

D. Whether you're looking for an HTML editor, a Java IDE, or even a
complete Web server, we've got it. To see what's new each day, bookmark the
appropriate link.

PC users:

http://www.builder.com/Downloads/PC/Result/TitleList/0,1006,0-b-0-a-1,00.html?bb

Macintosh users:

http://www.builder.com/Downloads/Mac/Result/TitleList/0,1006,0-b-0-a-1,00.html?bb

To submit your own software to the library, visit us here:

http://www.builder.com/Downloads/Init/Submission/?bb

[Note: If the above URLs are too long for this email message and result in
line breaks, simply paste the individual pieces into your browser.]

3. BUILDER BUZZ: WEB DESIGN FOR THE PAST, PRESENT, OR FUTURE?

A. "Should we design for the Web of the past?" Should Web builders continue
to design sites that work well in older browsers? Or should they take the
initiative and build sites that work only with the latest browsers?
Building backward-compatible Web sites has its drawbacks, and not everyone
agrees that it's always the best solution.

http://buzz.builder.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14@@.ee77765

B. "What makes a Web site annoying?" Every Web builder has his or her own
pet peeves. Do frames make you crazy? Can a <BLINK> tag drive you to tears?
Do cheesy MIDI files send you looking for a baseball bat? Jump in and share
the things you love to hate about the Web.

http://buzz.builder.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14@@.ee72209

valuable training on the product that more than 50,000 developers find is
the fastest way to build and deploy scalable Web applications. Free
evaluation copies of ColdFusion will be available at the seminar and
attendees will be eligible for a very special offer on ColdFusion! Click
here to learn more about seminar locations and dates:

http://www.allaire.com/cfseminar/ab2dj

B. Coming to a West Coast city near you: "Wake up your Web site." CNET
Builder.com is a proud sponsor of GEO Interactive's "Wake up your Web site"
West Coast Seminar Tour. Builder.com and cosponsor Ulead Systems will join
GEO Interactive in this engaging six-hour seminar on how to add
high-quality streaming video to your Web site. You'll walk away with the
skills to develop your own video-enhanced Web site, along with reference
materials and a limited edition copy of Emblaze VideoPro. Visit the site
below for complete information on this "can't miss" event!

http://www.emblaze.com/wakeitup

http://www.cnet.com/Help/Dispatch?bb

and follow the instructions on that page.

CAREER LISTINGS

Looking for a hot new job? Find thousands of postings in CNET's online
career center:

http://findjob.cnet.com/?bb

6. TALK BACK: HOW TO REACH US HERE AT CNET BUILDER.COM

Is Builder.com covering the topics you care about? What do you think we're
missing? If you have any comments, suggestions, or remarks about our site
or the Builder Blast, we want to hear from you. We can't guarantee a
personal response to every message we receive, but the Builder.com team
reads every one, and we take each comment seriously. Email us at:

comments@builder.com

http://www.builder.com/

CNET: The Computer Network

http://www.builder.com/
http://www.cnet.com/
http://www.news.com/
http://www.computers.com/
http://www.shopper.com/
http://www.gamecenter.com/
http://www.download.com/
http://www.shareware.com/
http://www.browsers.com/
http://www.search.com/
http://home.snap.com/

Copyright 1998 CNET, Inc. All rights reserved.

--------------F644D87424819800AF2B2CAD--