Could You Get Fired for Choosing Linux? (fwd)

Mustafa Akgul (akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 14:26:52 +0200 (EET)

Forwarded message:
>From httpd@web.zdnet.com Mon Feb 16 12:18:10 1998
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 05:15:50 -0500
To: akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR
From: omer@benli.bcc.bilkent.edu.tr
Subject: Could You Get Fired for Choosing Linux?

This message was forwarded to you from ZDNet AnchorDesk
located at http://www.anchordesk.com If you would like to
receive further high-tech news alerts, simply forward
this message to on@anchordesk.com and you will
automatically receive a free sample.

Comment from sender: FYI

Fired for Choosing Linux?
Berst Alert
Jesse Berst, Editorial Director<BR><I>ZDNet AnchorDesk</I>
Monday, February 16, 1998

Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM was the mantra of
the 70s and 80s. IBM didn't always have the latest and
greatest, but it was always the safe choice.

Slowly, surely, Microsoft and its Windows NT operating
system have been taking over this role. Lately, however,
a growing cadre of users are proposing a seven-year-old
"freeware" operating system as an alternative to NT. Linux
(pronounced Lynn-ucks) is a Unix variant maintained by
volunteer programmers around the world.

But is it a safe choice? Let's take a look, starting with
the good news about Linux's growing popularity.

Linux is not just for geeks anymore. As many as five million
computers now run the operating system, usually as a platform
for a Web server. More and more of those Linux computers
are showing up in corporate settings, as documented by
Smart Reseller magazine. Click for full story.

Easier than ever to obtain. You can download Linux, or
you can buy convenient CD-ROM compilations, often called
"distributions," which bundle the OS with utilities, Web
servers and application software for a nominal fee (typically
about $50). Two of the most popular distributions come
from Red Hat (www.redhat.com) and Caldera (www.caldera.com).
PC Week recently gave the Red Hat compilation a thumbs
up. Click for full story.

Trade shows and conferences such as the 4th Annual Linux
Expo, May 28-30, at Duke University in Durham, N.C. Click
for conference info.

Linux books and magazines. The Linux Journal is a great
source of how-to information, in print and online. You
can also find dozens of Linux books from various publishers.
Click for Linux books available online through Barnes
and Noble.

Linux support and help online. You can find numerous pages
and newsgroups dedicated to Linux. I've linked two of
the most popular in the sidebar.

Okay, Linux may have a low, low cost. And many technical
merits. And lots of help for do-it-yourselfers. But can
it pass the all-important "cover your ass" test? I'm not
so sure. There's no single company behind Linux. No single
source of support. No sales rep you can call in and yell
at if Linux fails unexpectedly, leaving you without an
operative Web site.

Nobody to blame, in other words. Except you, if you were
the person who recommended this product.

Tell us about your experiences and inclinations. Would
you take this risk? Have you done so already? Did you
experience any political fallout? Hit the TalkBack button
below to send us your comments. Then jump over to my Berst
Alerts forum to discuss Linux with other AnchorDesk readers.

I'm all for competition in the OS marketplace. And I always
root for the little guy. So I think it's great if you
are willing to promote Linux to your boss. As long as
you are aware of the risk you are taking. The risk of
getting fired.

READ MORE:
Leaning Toward Linux - PC Magazine
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.zdnet.com/pcmag/issues/1613/pcmg0068.htm
Linux Online Home Page - Internet
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.linux.org
LinuxOS Home Page - Internet
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.linuxos.org

EVALUATE:
OSUser: The Ultimate Operating System Resource - ZDNet Products Channel
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.zdnet.com/products/osuser.html
NOSUser: The Ultimate Guide to Network Operating Systems - ZDNet Products Channel
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.zdnet.com/products/nosuser.html

DISCUSS:
Jesse's Berst Alerts
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/disgroups/disgroups_54.html