Re: Kota

Sukrucan BAYTAN M.D. (turk@meds.ktu.edu.tr)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:17:27 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Deniz Altintasli wrote:

> Selam ,
>
> Redhat'te installi RPM leri nasil gorebilirim ..
> bir de quota kurmak icin neye ihtiyacim vardir ...
>
> Tesekkurler
>

> Deniz Altintasli =-= Gsu Linux =-=

Kullandigim kota programinin yazarinin yazdigi E-Mail ve site adresi
asagida, ben henuz bir problem yasamadim (6 aydir).

Iyi calismalar.

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:54:01 +1000
From: Tony Nugent <tony@trishul.sci.gu.edu.au>
To: linux-admin@vger.rutgers.edu, rich@hispeed.net
Subject: Re: quota's

Rich Schmelkin <rich@hispeed.net> wrote:

> I am having a small problem with getting quota started.
> I believe the problem is actually not having enough info
> to set up the quota.user or quota.group. file.
> I cant find good info on the actual format of those files..
> Any help with the file syntax would be super.
> Thanks, Rich

Setting things up to get quotas going is confusing to the
un-initiated, so here is a fairly complete guide as to what to do.

Don't worry about the format of those quota.{user,group} files - let
the quota tools do that for you.

These are the steps needed to get quotas working:

- enable quota support in the kernel when compiling it during the
initial `make config' process.

- go grab the quota utilities:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/OS/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus/subsystems/quota/
ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/People/mvw/quota/

You'll find a doc archive there with lots of info, including html
versions of the man pages. They are available on the net at:

http://homepage.cistron.nl/~mvw/quota.html

The current version is quota-1.55.tar.gz

- Ignore the warnings that occur when you compile this package.

- After you do `make install', you'll end up with:

/usr/sbin/edquota
/usr/sbin/quotacheck
/usr/sbin/quotaoff
/usr/sbin/quotaon
/usr/sbin/quotastats
/usr/sbin/repquota
/usr/sbin/warnquota
(quotaoff is a symlink to quotaon).

and their man pages in /usr/man/man8/

*** In your case, what you need to use is `edquota' to set up the ***
*** quota.{user,group} files. Check `man edquota' for details. ***

Unfortunately, the quotas for each user needs to be individually set
- a very painful process if you have lots of users. I do have some
patches that work with a perl script that will set lots of users
"en-mass", but I've never tried them.

- Read the docs to find how which utilities to use (and how to use them)
to set up your /etc/fstab file and to enable group and user quota
values. Eg, in /etc/fstab I have the following line:

/dev/hda5 /home ext2 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1

- You'll then have to put something like the following into your
multi-user level boot script (eg, /etc/rc.d/rc.M)...

# Turn on quotas
#
if [ -x /usr/sbin/quotaon ] ; then
/usr/sbin/quotaon -aguv
fi
if [ -x /usr/sbin/quotacheck ] ; then
/usr/sbin/quotacheck -aguv
fi

- And in your init's shutdown script (eg, /etc/rc.d/rc.6)...

# Turn off quotas
#
if [ -x /usr/sbin/quotaoff ] ; then
echo "Turning off quota."
/usr/sbin/quotaoff -a
fi

Works like a real charm!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tony

|Sukrucan H. Baytan M.D. (SysAdmin) ("`-/")_.-'"``-._ |
|Karadeniz (Blacksea) Technical University, . . `; -._ )-;-,_`) |
|Medical School, Dept. of Physiology. =(v =)' _ )`-.\ ``-' |
|Trabzon/TURKIYE [Turkey yourself:)] _. -_..-_/ / ((.' GOOFY: |
|turk@meds.ktu.edu.tr 193.140.168.205 ((,.-' ((,/ Lemme out!!|
|Fax: +90 (462)325-2270 http://meds.ktu.edu.tr/cbaytan.html (Mrreoww) |