Re: [LINUX:3243] Re: New Intel Pentium bug? (fwd)

ILKER GUNGOR (ilker@frye.com)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:36:15 -0800

Yes, the bug is an illegal opcode bug. No program is supposed to generate
that opcode but somehow some programs (example: some ActiveX programs) do
generate it.
I don't know how they do it.
Essentially, the opcode turns out to be "Lock CmpChg8b % eax" which does
nothing but
put the CPU in an infinite loop, resulting in a crash of the system. This
may not be a
big problem for single user systems (at most you can reset the system), but
imagine what can happen when the computer is an internet server and somehow
someone generates this code. Crash!
By the way, this bug is only present in pentiums, not pentium II or PROs.

Regards,
ILKER GUNGOR
Software Engineer,
FRYE ELECTRONICS, INC.
ilker@frye.com
Phone :(503)620-2722
Fax :(503)639-0128

At 10:10 AM 11/14/97 +0200, you wrote:

> [...]
P5-233MMX/P5-120 with
>> > NT, DOS, Win95, Solaris for Intel, all hung solid. As I don't have an
AMD /