2.1.63 - testing Pentium bug workaround.. (fwd)

Yavuz Selim Komur (yavuz@akdeniz.edu.tr)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:58:19 +0200 (EET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:23:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
Subject: 2.1.63 - testing Pentium bug workaround..

I just made 2.1.63 available on the normal ftp site (ftp.kernel.org,
direcoty pub/linux/kernel/v2.1). The most exciting change is probably the
preliminary patch by Ingo Molnar that should work around the by now
well-known Pentium lock-up bug. Many thanks to Ingo who put together the
patch from various snippets of information floating around.

2.1.63 does other things too: it updates the sound driver and the cyclades
serial port drievr, adds four new SCSI device drivers, and should fix the
worst ncpfs problems (thanks to Bill Hawes, super-programmer).

Please give it a good testing, especially the Pentium bug workaround.
Throw all the tests you have at it, to see that it really works. We'll be
doing a 2.0.x patch for that too, but it's probably not going to appear
for a few days, so in the meantime testing this fix on 2.1.x would be a
GoodThing(tm)...

Linus